Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've had Mint 14 installed for 24hrs, not too impressed with it, also lagging a little, so giving Xubuntu a go. Seems quick running from CD but want to over-write ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help installing :(

I've had Mint 14 installed for 24hrs, not too impressed with it, also lagging a little, so giving Xubuntu a go. Seems quick running from CD but want to over-write Mint 14 but it's giving the option to erase everything (which will erase Windows 7 as well which I don't want to do), install alongside (which I don't want to do either), or 'Something Else' so I select Something Else and I've got the following:

/dev/sde
    /dev/sde1 - Type NTFS - Size 12582 MB - Used 3221 MB
    /dev/sde2 - Type NTFS - Size 487522 MB - Used 124185 MB

/dev/sdf
    /dev/sdf1 - Type NTFS - Size 286634 MB - Used 146351 MB
    /dev/sdf6 - Type ext4 - Size 204773 MB - Used 8615 MB
    /dev/sdf5 - Type swap - Size 8697 MB - Used 0 MB

Then I've got 'Device for boot loader installation:

/dev/sde ATA Hitachi HDP72505 (500.1GB)
    /dev/sde1 Windows Recovery Environment (loader)
    /dev/sde2 Windows 7 (loader)
    /dev/sdf ATA Hitachi HDP72505 (500.1GB)
    /dev/sdf1
    /dev/sdf6 Linux Mint 14 Nadia (14)

Not sure what I'm selecting from any of the above.

Can anyone advise?
    I want to keep my Windows 7 but I want to write over Mint 14 with Xubuntu

Thanks in advance

In Something Else section, select /dev/sdf6, assign / in its Mount Point box and check Format checkbox too. Installer will format Mint install and detect SWAP partition itself.

You have two Hard disks, /dev/sde and /dev/sdf. I would suggest you to select /dev/sdf as a Device for Boot Loader installation. Set second Hard disk as First Boot Device in BIOS after Xubuntu installation.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    In Something Else section, select /dev/sdf6, assign / in its Mount Point box and check Format checkbox too. Installer will format Mint install and detect SWAP partition itself.

You have two Hard disks, /dev/sde and /dev/sdf. I would suggest you to select /dev/sdf as a Device for Boot Loader installation. Set second Hard disk as First Boot Device in BIOS after Xubuntu installation.
    This won't erase anything on my Windows 7 will it? I honestly don't know where 7 is installed and where mint 14 is installed lol.

According to your first post, Windows 7 has been installed in First Hard disk, /dev/sde. Mint has been installed in second Hard disk. If you select /dev/sdf6 in partition section and assign it / mount point, nothing will go wrong.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    As a point of clarification on disk naming, with Linux hard drives are named sda=first hard drive, sdb=second hard drive, etc. The drives start with the first letter of the English alphabet (in English anyway) while in windows they start with the third letter of the alphabet (C). So the information you posted above indicated sd3 (fifth drive) and sdf(6th drive). Don't know why they are named that way or if you have other drives but then I don't know what you have on your computer.

If you look at the output you posted above, there is a 'Type' column. ntfs is windows, ext4 is one of the filesystems used in Linux. Ata little more reading on Linux filesystem types might help.