Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know there is a LM forum but I wanted to ask here, just in case someone else figured it out. Just bought this Q200...it has UEFI. Even though I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux Mint on a Q200 laptop (UEFI)

I know there is a LM forum but I wanted to ask here, just in case someone else figured it out.

Just bought this Q200...it has UEFI. Even though I disable Secure Boot, I cannot boot from a USB DVD drive to boot LM14. Is it because its not Fedora or Ubuntu..the companies who paid the pied piper?

Stumped...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What errors, messages do you get when you try to do that (boot from USB drive)? Also, who builds/sells the Q200?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I figured it out. Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Great! Some info about what you did, and found out, would help our other members, I'm sure!

Just Joined!
    sure.. I put it on my site..I need 10 posts to post a url..so its at thegeekprophet dot com, titled "Linux Mint 14 on the Asus Q200 install tips along with the Atheros AR8162 ethernet controller".

Here is the link: Linux Mint 14 on the Asus Q200 install tips along with the Atheros AR8162 ethernet controller | thegeekprophet.com

In the meantime, you can slightly mangle your url's so the site will take them, yet it is still simple enough to find them! In your case, try something like "www(dot)thegeekprophet(dot)com/linux-mint..."

Just Joined!
    Thanks!! I like the forum..finally registered instead of lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by themagicm View Post
    Thanks!! I like the forum..finally registered instead of lurking.
    And welcome you are! Already, you have helped folks who run into UEFI/SecureBoot (sic) issues! This is going to become a greater, and greater problem over the next couple of years, no thanks to MicroSludge!

Just Joined!
    You dont know how disappointed I was for the first hour or so thinking I'll have to return this little gem of a laptop if it couldnt run Linux (the distro I wanted..not the ones who pay Microsoft's UEFI tax).

Oh, missed the question.. ASUS Q200.

Quote Originally Posted by themagicm View Post
    You dont know how disappointed I was for the first hour or so thinking I'll have to return this little gem of a laptop if it couldnt run Linux (the distro I wanted..not the ones who pay Microsoft's UEFI tax).

Oh, missed the question.. ASUS Q200.
    I hope to see more of you here on the LinuxForums.org site!