Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so I'm playing around with my brand new shiny install of Mandrake 9.1 ... and I'm trying to figure out how to compile source code to an RPM. the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help compiling some source code to RPM

Ok, so I'm playing around with my brand new shiny install of Mandrake 9.1 ... and I'm trying to figure out how to compile source code to an RPM. the source code includes a .spec file which i think is somehow related to the RPM, but I'm not sure what to do. Someone help plz

Linux Guru
    Why would you want an RPM if you have the source code?

Just Joined!
    ok, I'm trying to update the xscreensaver package to the newest version cause it has the matrix code screensaver, plus i installed the mesa3d openGL library, so i need to recompile to enable the 3d screensavers. However, xscreensaver is already installed, and the configure file warns about it. It recommends either uninstalling it or compiling the source as RPM then doing an update with the RPM wizard. I can't uninstall cause of some weird dependencies. So i need to compile as RPM, then do an update to avoid having 2 different versions installed (i think ..)

Then again I'm a linux n00b and there might be a much easier way to do all this.

Linux Guru
    Oh, then I get it. Sorry, but I don't know how to do that; I've never built an RPM. I just wanted to know why.

I'm sure that there is a special make rule to do that, though. Check if it says in the INSTALL or README files. Otherwise, post the Makefile.am file here and I'll see if it says something about it in there.