Find the answer to your Linux question:
Have installed RHEL 6 in a laptop but the LAN not working.The Ethernet device listed in system is RTL8101E/RTL8102E through lspci command. Trying to install driver for RTL8101E/RTL8102E but getting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ethernet driver problem

Have installed RHEL 6 in a laptop but the LAN not working.The Ethernet device listed in system is RTL8101E/RTL8102E through lspci command.
    Trying to install driver for RTL8101E/RTL8102E but getting error

Removing 'r8169' : Operation Not permitted

anybody can help

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dcm2k6 View Post
    Have installed RHEL 6 in a laptop but the LAN not working.The Ethernet device listed in system is RTL8101E/RTL8102E through lspci command.
    Trying to install driver for RTL8101E/RTL8102E but getting error

Removing 'r8169' : Operation Not permitted

anybody can help
    is this a compile time error?

Just Joined!
    Hi there,

Yeah, I hear you on your troubles. I couldn't get my realtek network card working with the 2.6 kernel. Once I upgraded to the 3.2 kernel everything was working for me. But I think you are somewhat stuck with that kernel with RHEL 6.

Here is the download page for your network card. h ttp://ww w.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5 &Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

You will have to fix the link by removing the spaces, since I am still below the 15 post limit.

The archive has a simple how-to in it how to install the driver. Hopefully this will fix your issue.

Cheers

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!