Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey there guys! So I am looking to install Linux (ubuntu more specifically) from a USB. I see a lot of applications like PenDrive or whatever, but those are all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Ubuntu from a USB (permanently)

Hey there guys!

So I am looking to install Linux (ubuntu more specifically) from a USB. I see a lot of applications like PenDrive or whatever, but those are all boot from USB, rather than installing Linux onto your HDD via a USB. Can anyone walk me through how to do this? I know at some point I'm going have to partition my HDD, but I haven't found a comprehensive or noob-understandable guide on the internet.

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Hi and Welcome !

but those are all boot from USB, rather than installing Linux onto your HDD via a USB.
    Thats the best way to install Linux on your Hard disk. Burn .iso image on USB, boot from it and you will have option to install it on Hard disk.

Its not easy to just copy .iso on USB and install it on Hard disk.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

Thats the best way to install Linux on your Hard disk. Burn .iso image on USB, boot from it and you will have option to install it on Hard disk.

Its not easy to just copy .iso on USB and install it on Hard disk.
    Thank you for the welcome. However, I did try putting an .iso on my newly purchased 16GB USB, and I tried booting to USB, and nothing happened.

Can you walk me through how to burn an iso to a USB and then boot from it?

Download Universal USB Installer from Pendrivelinux.com. Installation instructions are available at download page of USB Installer.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First