Find the answer to your Linux question:
Note to the mods: I was not able to post that in the tutorial section. Feel free to move it there. Running operating systems in a virtual partition is an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    whs
    Just Joined!

Linux in a virtual partition

Note to the mods: I was not able to post that in the tutorial section. Feel free to move it there.
    Running operating systems in a virtual partition is an excellent way to try out new distros or to operate two operating systems side by side.

I am using VMware Player to run Zorin, Mint Cinnamon and Windows 8 on a Windows 7 host. But the host can also be a Linux system. Here are a couple of documents that describe the system requirements:

Host System Requirements
    http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMwarePlayerManual10.pdf

For the Zorin installation, I have made a tutorial that describes the steps to setup Zorin in VMware player, to install the VMware tools and to make the initial setup of Zorin. I have installed Mint in the same way and would suspect that at least any other Ubuntu based distro would install like this.

VMware Player - Install and Setup Zorin - Windows 7 Support Forums

Then I have made a little demo to show the virtues of Zorin and how it works in the virtual partition.

Having fun with Zorin - Windows 7 Support Forums

And as a last step I moved the virtual partition to an external disk which allows me to run the virtual system on any PC.

Portable OS - Carry your OS on an External Drive - Windows 7 Support Forums

Maybe this can be useful for you. If you have any questions, let me know.

Just Joined!
    What happens when you move windows 7 from one machine to another? I saw on your last link that you would select I copied it. But I was curious what happens as far as activation? Does it make you reactivate windows?

whs
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdtux View Post
    What happens when you move windows 7 from one machine to another? I saw on your last link that you would select I copied it. But I was curious what happens as far as activation? Does it make you reactivate windows?
    No reactivation required (VMware Player is the 'System') - at least not for Windows 8 which I use. I cannot speak for Windows 7 which is my host system. And for Linux distros you do not have that problem anyhow.