Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello people, I'm new to the forums and decided to register when I couldn't install CentOS. My webserver is running CentOS Minimal and it's working very good. So I wanted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Fresh install of CentOS - Stuck at grub

Hello people,

I'm new to the forums and decided to register when I couldn't install CentOS.

My webserver is running CentOS Minimal and it's working very good. So I wanted to install CentOS 6.3 desktop minimal on my home server. Afther several attempt of reinstalling CentOS it's still stuck at the bootloader (Grub 0,97).

In my bios settings I've changed the boot order so my hdd was the first one to boot. However I'm still stuck at grub...

At the moment I have one 160 gb PATA HDD installed with CentOS on it. No other operating systems. I've decided to unplug my other HDD's (2tb + 1tb) to see if it will boot. But no change. Not even afther a fresh install with the other HDD's unpluged.

The 1 tb is freshly formatted and empty. The other one is used in my old setup. With OpenMedia Vault installed on a sd card and te 2 tb HDD as storage.

I've tried a search on Google but it wasn't any help. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Dntel.

Linux Engineer
    There is a possibility that the system detected the drives in a different order during installation than when booting.

On the grub selection screen, press 'e'.
    That will show you what hdd it's using as root. If the only one hdd is plugged in, it should say
    root (hd0,x) with x being the number of the partition you installed /boot on. Typically, /boot goes on the first partition, so that would be '0'

Next, make sure the kernel path is pointing to the right partition / logical volume as well.

Just Joined!
    I'm only getting to see the following:

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (639K lower / 3078784K upper memory

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ]
    I cann't press E...

Quote Originally Posted by Dntel View Post
    I'm only getting to see the following:

I cann't press E...
    I think you have a borked install or GRUB became corrupted somehow. Did you test the download? MD5sum check? See this link if unsure.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Engineer
    Oh, you have a grub prompt.
    Well, you can either try to follow the steps from here: Grub From the Ground Up
    Or (I recommend) boot of the install media, select 'rescue installed system' and reinstall grub.

After you get to the shell, chroot /mnt/sysimage
    After you chroot, take a peak at /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Should have some stuff in that file with where all the operating systems are. Check for the 'root' line, make sure it's set to root (hd0, 0) or wherever your boot partition is.
    Now, check to make sure the right partition has the boot flag (your grub partition):
    fdisk -l
    Look for the device with the * in the boot column. That should match up to what's in your grub config file.
    Now, you can install grub:
    grub-install /dev/sda

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My guess is that the disc you are trying to install from is borked. 1st, verify the checksum of the iso image you created the disc from. 2nd, verify that checksum with the disc. Also, I usually install from a live CD/DVD/USB device - if it runs, then it should install ok.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I think you have a borked install or GRUB became corrupted somehow. Did you test the download? MD5sum check? See this link if unsure.
    The installation disk is ok. I didn't checked it. But I've tried 2 iso downloads and also an netboot install. All three with the same problems.

@Mizzle

I'm followed your steps with only the boot disk connected (180 gb). The other hdd's are unplugged and I did a fresh net install.

=====

1.chroot /mnt/sysimage
    No Problem
    2. vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
    boot=/dev/sdb -> Think this should be correct.
    root (hd0,0) -> Should be correct according to device.map. device.map shows: (hd0) /dev/sdb
    3. Bootflag (fdisk -l)
    Boot is @sdb1. sdb2 is storage. I changed my grub.conf from sdd to sdb.
    4. grub-install /dev/sdb
    # this device map is generated by anaconda
    (hd0) /dev/sdb

Getting an error 21. I'm wondering if step 2 (hd0,1) the correct one is. And step 3 the right one is.
    Last edited by Dntel; 02-25-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Linux Engineer
    hd(0) should be sda, generally, AFAIK.

So, if your drive is still showing up as sdb, then that means you most likely have another drive in your PC somewhere. either an sd card, another hdd, usb drive, etc.
    If that is the case, you need to change the grub entries to (hd1,0).

So, the fact that you're getting a grub prompt means that:
    a) Grub is indeed installed on the MBR of the drive.
    b) Grub cannot find grub.conf.

The reason it cannot find grub.conf is generally that it's looking in the wrong spot.
    Either your drive should be called sda hd0, or sdb hd1. It cannot be a mixture of both.

Run fdisk -l again to see what's coming up as sda. You might have to scroll up a little bit if there's a lot of logical volumes or something on your pc.

Linux Guru
    More detailed information can be obtained by going to the site below, reading the instructions and downloading and running the bootinfoscript. It will output a results.txt file with detailed information on drives/partitions and boot files and someone should be able to help. Use any Linux Live CD to go to the site and download and run. It would probably be best if you plugged in whatever disks you plan to have before doing this. The error 21 is "selected disk does not exist", Grub manual here:

GNU GRUB Manual 0.97

Bootinfoscript link below:

Boot Info Script | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    hd(0) should be sda, generally, AFAIK.

So, if your drive is still showing up as sdb, then that means you most likely have another drive in your PC somewhere. either an sd card, another hdd, usb drive, etc.
    If that is the case, you need to change the grub entries to (hd1,0).

So, the fact that you're getting a grub prompt means that:
    a) Grub is indeed installed on the MBR of the drive.
    b) Grub cannot find grub.conf.

The reason it cannot find grub.conf is generally that it's looking in the wrong spot.
    Either your drive should be called sda hd0, or sdb hd1. It cannot be a mixture of both.

Run fdisk -l again to see what's coming up as sda. You might have to scroll up a little bit if there's a lot of logical volumes or something on your pc.
    If I run fdisk -l I cann't see any sda device. The A device is my cardreader which is connected with usb on the mobo. It should only be vissible if (for example) a sd card is in the reader. Therefore I've changed the grub.conf file from (hd0,0) to (hd1,0) (SDB).

In the device.map file is says: (hd0) /dev/sdb -> I've changed this to (hd1) /dev/sdb. Although I'm not sure what this does.

@yancek I'm trying the boot info script. I'll come back with the results.