Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Preface to this message: I started this reply 2 days ago, and now I'm coming back from New Year parties everywhere. This Post a reply window has been open for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question finale...

Preface to this message:
    I started this reply 2 days ago, and now I'm coming back from New Year parties everywhere. This
    Post a reply window has been open for over 48 hours while I think about my next Linux question(s) - this message has undergone many modifications since. Many thoughts are going through my mind. You see, as soon as I think I've understood completely, I find a flaw in my reasoning.
    Some of your comments seem sometimes contradictory, but they are also complementary. I think that Ugo is suggesting one thing, and laker is suggesting another. All solutions are surely fine, however I'd like to understand each solution before making a last final decision.

So, my conclusion was too quick.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    no problem.
    step 1 and step two do go together by the way.

another option, a third, would be to set up a third FAT32 partition, which both Windows and Linux could access, and install the windows programs there
    As I mentioned earlier, I already have my FAT32 partition set up. Now, about the Flash MX question, I had asked
    Quote Originally Posted by Vautrec
    could I simply install Flash MX in the FAT32 partition [...] to share programs?
    In other words, could I have the program installed ONCE in FAT32, run it from Windows when booted in Windows, and run it from Linux when booted in Linux? Ugo said
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugo
    File can be shared on used... program file will be shared. RUNNING program wont...
    This is true unless running WINE, right? (and a FAT32 partition)

Here, I'd like to offer you my latest understanding. Please note that I'm discussing software that is available for Windows only (In this case, Macromedia Studio MX - there is no Linux version for this.).

• How to make Windows software available to both platforms:
      1. If installing only ONCE:
      - a. install on WinXP NTFS partition (from Windows), and install a NTFS driver on Linux.
      - b. install on (shared) FAT32 partition (from Windows), and use WINE to run the program from Linux.
      2. If installing TWICE:
      - a. install normally on WinXP (from Windows) AND install on Linux using WINE, as described by Frank's Corner's.

I don't want to make any assumptions, so I will wait for your comments before my next question - which will hopefully be the last of this thread.

I would need to know if the above is exact. If this above interpretation is not exact, please correct it by using the same format (i.e. cut and paste and add corrections inside). Also, please tell me if Frank's Corner's method for installing Flash MX on Linux is correct, because I've referred to it almost in every post!

Et Ugo, si tu réponds en français ça aiderait beaucoup ma compréhension! Merci!

Happy New Year to All! Bonne Année à tous et toutes! :-D

Just Joined!

Sharing Mozilla Mail & Settings on a Dual Boot Linux/Win

Thank everyone for their suggestions, however I found a way to share everything not just local folders and made it into a full page on this topic.

A Simple Solution to Share Mozilla Mail, Bookmarks, and Settings Across Two Or More Operating Systems
    This is the short version.
    You can find the full page of instructions at:
    http://www.macs.nightmail.ru/compute...x-Windows.html

After starting the default profile, go to Tools > Switch profile > Manage profiles > Create profile > Next > Enter new profile name. The name that you type here becomes the folder where the profile will be stored (for example mine is called dual). Now, go on to > Choose folder - here choose the path to the FAT partition where the profiles will be stored, for example /hda3/shared/
    Finish creating the profile, and start Mozilla with it. Now exit Mozilla.
    Step 2
    Locate the folder where the new profile is stored, it should be named something like jdi34lhm.slt; similar to the name of the profile that you have backed up earlier. We will call this folder with already existing mail and settings oldprofile123.slt.
    Write down the name of the newprofile123.slt folder that has just been created in the new profile directory, and then rename (or delete) this folder.
    Paste here the oldprofile123.slt profile directory from the location where you have backed it up (CD-ROM, network, etc). Now rename it with the name that Mozilla had just created for the new profile - newprofile123.slt.The name just written down a minute ago. Start Mozilla. All settings and email, including Master Password for the security device, should work normally. Test E-mail. Exit this OS. Start the other OS.
    Step 3
    Start Mozilla and create a new profile with the same name in the same destination folder on the FAT partition.
    Done.
    This is it! Congratulations!
    Originally posted at: http://www.macs.nightmail.ru/compute...x-Windows.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2