Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello! I'm almost ready to install Linux. Some important questions remain unanswered. Here is my most important question. I'm setting up a dual boot machine, winXP and Fedora Core 3. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual boot - Must install software twice?

Hello! I'm almost ready to install Linux. Some important questions remain unanswered. Here is my most important question.

I'm setting up a dual boot machine, winXP and Fedora Core 3. I've read about using one Mozilla profile shared between both platforms, so I suspect I'll get no trouble with this.
    http://groups.google.ca/groups?start...ox.net&rnum=14
    This should work great, Mozilla for Windows on my WinXP, and Mozilla for Linux on Linux.

Now, about software made only for Windows. I've read about installing Windows software on Linux with Wine, I've read about using Wine in Linux to run Windows software installed on Windows.

Finally, I'm getting to my big question: If I need to use a certain Windows program in Windows and in Linux, must I install it twice, once on each platform? Or is ok installing only in Windows?

The situation is different from the Mozilla case, because Mozilla indeed has a version for each platform.

My two most important programs for this are Macromedia Studio (confirmed to work, I don't remember where) and Trillian (instant messaging). I would rather keep Trillian than switch to Gaim, mostly for purpose of message archive. Plus, if I could use Trillian in both platforms like Mozilla, that would be super awesome.

For info on me, new member here:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-30301.html

Merci beaucoup les amis! Thank you so much!

You can install it only once on Windows, but not vice-versa.
    Also, if your windows partition is NTFS, you'll have to take some extra steps to set up linux to read/write to/from it.

Linux Engineer
    Allo Vautrec
    The 2 platform are 100% independant, except for the files...
    In other words, what you install under windows will in no way affect the functionning of your linux platform and nothing installed in linux will affect your windows... that been said, if you feel like sharing files (ex: mp3, avi, .doc... etc) you should create an FAT32 partition...

Like lakerdonald said you could recompile your kernel to have NTFS write access, but I wouldnt rely on a driver that isnt 100% proof... So I wont start playing the Hero and scrap my NTFS partition only cause I wanted journalization under my partition... FAT32 is 100% stable and doesnt require any recompilation and doesnt rely on unproof drivers...

File under the SWAP, LINUX, EXT2, EXT3,... partition wont be accessible from windows for the fact that the driver under windows simply (either doesnt exist, or is unstable) nevertheless it should NEVER be used if it comes to a stable point since having windows manipuling linux file would get virus easy access to mess your linux platform... which isnt what you want...

The only reason I still use windows, is for c# programming and gaming. other than that I'm always under Linux...

IF you require ANY more info, dont hesitate to give a shout..

Ciao
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    You can install it only once on Windows, but not vice-versa.
    Are you saying that it's not possible to install windows software on my Linux partition?
    Here is the page I consulted:
    http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=flashmx

Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    if you feel like sharing files (ex: mp3, avi, .doc... etc) you should create an FAT32 partition...
    I left out some details in my original post. Laissez-moi prÚciser.

My HD = 120GB.
    Windows partition = 30 GB, NTFS.
    Second partition = 60GB, FAT32 (for documents)
    The rest (30GB) is on hold for Fedora.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Also, if your windows partition is NTFS, you'll have to take some extra steps to set up linux to read/write to/from it.
    Does Flash MX need to write in its own program folder to function? If yes, could I simply install Flash MX in the FAT32 partition? (rather than installing on both windows AND Linux partitions) If no, I assume I could just install Flash MX in Windows NTFS and run it from the same location on both platforms. Would this work ok? Using the FAT32 not only to share documents, but also to share programs? (it would be fantastic for Trillian)

I hope that this clarification helps you better understand my situation. :-)

Gracias,

no, you can install windows programs on your linux partition, but windows is not able to access them.
    I'm not really sure what you mean about flash.
    Just put it on your Windows partition, install the ntfs driver on linux, and use wine or whatever to access it

Linux Engineer
    Programs WILL NOT run over a cross platform environment
    file will be accessed but the program will not run

if you install trillian on windows, it wont run on linux
    if you install TBird on Linux it WONT run on windows...

you understand?

you can share file, but the way the exe is built in windows isnt the same in linux...

the best exemple for you to understand, is this...
    LINUX works with bits as : first signifiant bit first...
    WINDOWS works with bits as : first signifiant bit last...

Yo uget the point... the system doesnt EVEN read data the same way!! anyway im pretty sure you get the point...

File can be shared on used... program file will be shared. RUNNING program wont...

as for wine, this is your solution when wanting to SIMULATE a windows environment! This is the way you'll be able to make your RUNNING program under linux... It might confuse you a little with whats over, I simply want to make sure that WINE will act like a windows emulation. (even if wine doesnt like the emulator status)

Flash MX shouldnt create specific file to run... I dont think so anyway... (i might... in the %WINDIR%/temp) but Im not sure...

To hesitate if you need more info
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

but if you use wine, you can use it to run programs on your windows partition. it might take a little work, but it's doable

Just Joined!

Conclusion

Ok! Je crois bien avoir compris, merci! I believe I understand it now.

These are my 3 options as discussed here:

1) ntfs driver on linux
    2) use wine to emulate windows to access
    3) Install the program on both platforms.

option (1) i'd prefer not to deal with, I heard some horror stories about it. ;-)
    option (2) does not garantee smooth running program.

Conclusion:
    Option (3), easier, less hassle, safer. I have plenty of disk space to spare. :-■

Merci lakerdonald, Merci Ugo! :-D Ma prochaine question suivra sous peu. ;-)

no problem.
    step 1 and step two do go together by the way.

another option, a third, would be to set up a third FAT32 partition, which both Windows and Linux could access, and install the windows programs there

Linux Engineer
    Glad we were of any help

For easyness, option 3 is by far the simplest AND im not a real fan of wine... use Windows product on windows and Linux on linux... otherwise your simply bringning windows crapiness into your linux environment... not to be done

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast