Find the answer to your Linux question:
Respective sir , I have Intel P-4 ,2.66MHz processor, 1GB ram,CRT (color) monitor and IDE 80GB hard disk.I want to install Fedora 17 or Fedora 18 on it. When I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Not able to install fedora 17 or fedora 18 on my desktop

Respective sir ,
    I have Intel P-4 ,2.66MHz processor, 1GB ram,CRT (color) monitor and
    IDE 80GB hard disk.I want to install Fedora 17 or Fedora 18 on it.
    When I tried to install Fedora 17 on my desktop,menu of selection
    (i.e Installation or Troubleshoot) come properly and after selecting
    installation option only gray screen appear and ###### on top of screen after that DVD-ROM light stop blinking and nothing is happens.
    Before few months ago I tried to install the same OS that time it works fine.but, now This problem is occures so please help me to get o ut of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiranursal View Post
    Respective sir ,
    I have Intel P-4 ,2.66MHz processor, 1GB ram,CRT (color) monitor and
    IDE 80GB hard disk.I want to install Fedora 17 or Fedora 18 on it.
    When I tried to install Fedora 17 on my desktop,menu of selection
    (i.e Installation or Troubleshoot) come properly and after selecting
    installation option only gray screen appear and ###### on top of screen after that DVD-ROM light stop blinking and nothing is happens.
    Before few months ago I tried to install the same OS that time it works fine.but, now This problem is occures so please help me to get o ut of it.
    It's been awhile since I've touched Fedora, but when it gives you the options, can you perform a textual installation? If so, attempt that.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by kiranursal View Post
    hello

i don't think fedora 18 was out before a couple of months ago, so maybe it was fedora 17 that you tried back then.

have you changed out any hardware since then, and are you using the same installation disks, or have you made new ones?

if new, maybe they aren't burned properly, or the downloads were corrupted?

don't know, just throwing some possibilities out there.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    hello

i don't think fedora 18 was out before a couple of months ago, so maybe it was fedora 17 that you tried back then.

have you changed out any hardware since then, and are you using the same installation disks, or have you made new ones?

if new, maybe they aren't burned properly, or the downloads were corrupted?

don't know, just throwing some possibilities out there.
    Just bolding as it seems English isn't your native tongue.

What I would say at this point:
    1. As oz said, have you changed any HW, if yes, what?
    2. Also as oz said, is this the same installation media (ie. flash drive, CD, etc.) which you used to install it last time? Or did you re-download it?
    3. I'd try a text-based install, either way: (Source) When you get the option to try it (live), or install, etc. at the boot menu, hit escape ('esc'). Then type 'text' (no quotes) and hit enter. You should be able to start the text installer, apparently (I haven't tried this, but give it a whirl).

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    I'd try a text-based install, either way: (Source) When you get the option to try it (live), or install, etc. at the boot menu, hit escape ('esc'). Then type 'text' (no quotes) and hit enter. You should be able to start the text installer, apparently (I haven't tried this, but give it a whirl).
    Yep, text-installers always work well for me, whereas I've had install issues with several different distros trying to do their GUI installs. Don't really know why it works out that way, but it does...
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Yep, text-installers always work well for me, whereas I've had install issues with several different distros trying to do their GUI installs. Don't really know why it works out that way, but it does...
    My guess would be that there's issues with some libs/binaries not working correctly on a particular system that a GUI would (for some reason) use. They could be completely unrelated. Though if they're regular encoded as regular x86 or x86_64 instructions I don't know why they wouldn't work on a particular system, but would work on others :-\. Probably driver related, as that's really the only thing that would change. I'm definitely just shooting in the dark here, though.