Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sir, I had win 98 in C: and XP in D: drive. I didn't require win 98. So I thought I could install Linux in C: After installing, when going ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux in C: and Win XP in D:

Sir,
    I had win 98 in C: and XP in D: drive. I didn't require win 98. So I thought I could install Linux in C: After installing, when going into win XP, it simply stops after displaying the messages

rootnoverify(hd0,4)
    chainloader +1.

I installed Fedora Core 1.
    What should I do? Please help me.

Linux Engineer
    Windows is a Bi*%$ you'll have to know this...
    Is your D: a logical drive or a physical?
    if physical, the issue could be resolved easily.. if not,... some work could be at hand.. I know that Windows isnt as solid as Linux when it comes to booting from a logical drive... it WANTS to load from hda1 from the primary disk... otherwise you'll have serious issues... Since you had win98 on primary hda1, XP was able to read the first byte correctly from HD....

Please update us with you HD configurations

Thanks
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

My HD Configuration

Hello,
    All these are logical drives.
    My Hard Disk (total of 80GB) is partitioned as follows:
    C: - 20GB --- Contained Win 98 but now I installed Fedora Core 1
    D: - 20GB --- Contains Win XP.
    E: - 20GB
    F: - 20GB

Linux in C: was installed with the following mount points
    hda1 - boot
    hda3 - swap
    hda4 - /

Please tell the solution for this problem. Thank you.

Just Joined!
    In my opinion, the best solution is to back up your data and re-install the WinXP Pro and FC1. Note that for a dual boot system it's important to have MS OSes on the first primary partition. Linux can reside in either primary or logical partition. One of the decision you will also make while installing FC1 is where to put the Linux loader (GRUB or LILO) Choices are MBR or /boot. Putting the GRUB in MBR didn't cause any problems to my dual boot systems.

I understand that you cannot boot in to WinXP Pro and I assume you can boot and log into your FC1. Here are the steps I would take:

1.back up your FC1 data
    2.re-install WinXP Pro onto the first primary partition of your hard drive (this is where FC1 is on at present time, the C)
    3.access D and back up your WinXP Pro data
    4.repartition the rest of your hard drive to install your FC1 system. First 20 gig is housing the WinXP Pro and the remaining space may be partitioned as follows:
    a.create an extended partition of 60 GB
    b..within the extended partition, create the following logical partitions: hda?=2x your ram (this will be swap), hda??=10 GB (this will be your /) and hda???=the remaining space which is slightly less than 50 GB (this will be /home)
    5.re-install FC1 onto the hda?? while paying attention to selecting /, /home and swap partitions.
    6.restore your backed up data

Linux Engineer
    rootnoverify(hd0,4)
    chainloader +1.
    i rereed your post since this as to your...
    hd0 cannot be a logical drive!!! its the primary partition of your drive, this is probably pointing to the old windows 98...
    Do you have access to Linux?
    if so can you post your reading on this command please :
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

fdisk -l command output

Hello,
    Iam sending the output of fdisk -l command as you asked.

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 2434 9729 58605120 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda3 14 79 530145 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda4 80 2433 18908505 83 Linux
    /dev/hda5 2434 4866 19543041 b Win95 FAT32
    /dev/hda6 4867 7299 19543041 b Win95 FAT32
    /dev/hda7 7300 9729 19518943+ b Win95 FAT32

Partition table entries are not in disk order

By the way, it is Win 95 not Win 98 on C: drive. I guess it does not matter.
    Isn't there any solution so that I need not delete any data or re-install anything. Iam keeping it as the last option.

Thank you.

Linux Engineer
    Hi again
    I would think that Win95 doesnt stand for the partition olding a Win95 OS but ratter that the filesystem was from that type... (I dont remember if FAT32 was "designed" during the reign of Win95 but thats what I think it is)

As for the correct HD.. there a few for sure...
    I would think that your Windows Xp is somewhere in one of these 3... But that's very odd that you've formated this drive using FAt32 but in any way... if you're sure it was then Fat32 it is...

Know what I would suggest you to try, since it might not work at all, but I figure that it's better to try as many thing as possible then to delete the whole thing...

Boot in Linux and get the correct HD number for your windows xp partition... then get into your grub.conf and modify the line where it says Windows (hd0,4) and try to put the HD* -> number been the hd number you've found... (the one with windows xp on it)

I've reed last night, that windows Wants to be on the hd0 and wont boot.. as for the validity of this post I cannot comment since I never had to deal with this situation, but I think that it this doesnt work then its propably never going to...

nevertheless **** Loads of luck
    Hope this gets to work

Linux Engineer
    Hi again
    I would think that Win95 doesnt stand for the partition olding a Win95 OS but ratter that the filesystem was from that type... (I dont remember if FAT32 was "designed" during the reign of Win95 but thats what I think it is)

As for the correct HD.. there a few for sure...
    I would think that your Windows Xp is somewhere in one of these 3... But that's very odd that you've formated this drive using FAt32 but in any way... if you're sure it was then Fat32 it is...

Know what I would suggest you to try, since it might not work at all, but I figure that it's better to try as many thing as possible then to delete the whole thing...

Boot in Linux and get the correct HD number for your windows xp partition... then get into your grub.conf and modify the line where it says Windows (hd0,4) and try to put the HD* -> number been the hd number you've found... (the one with windows xp on it)

I've reed last night, that windows Wants to be on the hd0 and wont boot.. as for the validity of this post I cannot comment since I never had to deal with this situation, but I think that it this doesnt work then its propably never going to...

nevertheless **** Loads of luck
    Hope this gets to work