Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This is my first instal of a linux system. I did "genkernel all" but it takes so long (2houres) It seems of my system hangs on "compiling 2.4.26-gentoo-r14 modules" but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

compiling 2.24.26-gentoo-r14 modules

This is my first instal of a linux system. I did "genkernel all" but it takes so long (2houres) It seems of my system hangs on "compiling 2.4.26-gentoo-r14 modules" but the hard disk is still busy, is it normal that it takes so long
    sorry 'bout my bad english

Linux Engineer
    depend on your actual system... if you have 16Ram no wonder
    Can you post your box configurations please...

also, since your a new comer to linux, you sure **** didnt try the easiest distro
    You could try "simpler" distro, (simpler doesnt meen less configurable), liek mandrake, debian,... if your configuration is low in RAM, you could try smaller versions... DamnSmallLinux,... etc...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

what kind of processor do you have?

Just Joined!
    It's an old K6 proc 200Mhz / 192MBRAM / 8 Gig HD
    I've noticed allready that's not easy to install, this is the 4th time i'm trying

Linux Engineer
    Iwould suggest to stop and get another distro mate... Gentoo is GREAT, but you would require a little more RAM... ont that it wouldnt run perfect, only cause you've probly got 2-3 days left simply to install the rest!!!
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

well that might explain why it's taking so long.
    i myself think that genkernel is overrated.
    compiling from source and installing takes <2hours on a 366mhz box

No he doesn't require less ram
    i have 128mb and it takes <1 day (stage3)
    -lakerdonald

Linux Engineer
    Im not saying it need more or less...
    I simply wanted to make a point!

On an hypothetic point of you, 128Mb RAM on an old laptop 8Gb that probly run at 3000rpm with read/write access of 1Mb/sec with an ultimatly old, slow, overused K6/200Mhz, isn't really good to start playing with genkernel...

Hopefully you get the point

But that's blatant misinformation.
    Gentoo is designed to take advantage of older boxes.
    The genkernel scripts simply take forever. compiling from source doesn't.
    I have less ram than him, a smaller hdd than him, i only have a slightly better processor than him, but even a stage 1 only takes ~30 hours.
    Don't get discouraged, your older computer should do fine.

Linux Engineer
    Since our argument isn't really nescessary, and I dont like to argue on a "point of view i'm trying to communicate" I'll stop here.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    But that's blatant misinformation.
    It always depend on the point of view your taking it... I never said it wasn't fesable! I simply suggested him to try another distro since it's the 4th time he tries to install... but that again might be irrelevent information

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast