Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've installed lilo on a floppy before and it worked great. Now when I try to do that, i get a message that writing on the floppy will destroy the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Booting from Floppy

i've installed lilo on a floppy before and it worked great. Now when I try to do that, i get a message that writing on the floppy will destroy the file system. I don't care what's on the floppy. I even formatted it a few times. I just want lilo there.

Can anyone help me out?

did you try writing anyway?
    or a new floppy?

Linux Engineer
    the filesystem on a regular floppy is usualy FAT, I'm not sure about that, but it probly will "reformat" the filesystem to make it to something else... simply procede!
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    It won't let me continue. It treats it as a fatal error.

Linux Engineer
    is it write protected?
    can you also post the Exact error message it tells you before trying to copy

Thanks
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    The floppy is not protected, and I have tried a few different ones. The message is:

Fatal: Filesystem would be destroyed by LILO boot sector: /dev/fd0

I've done it before the same way though, so I don't understand. The last time it worked was with Slackware 10 and now I'm doing it with Mandrake 10.1 Official. I don't think that would make a difference.

Linux Engineer
    Did you try different flopy?
    did you format from windows or linux

Linux Engineer
    Did you try different flopy?
    did you format from windows or linux

Just Joined!
    I have tried a few different floppies. And I formatted from Windows because I have no Linux system set up yet. The Linux install finished without making any bootloader. I just keep using the "rescue" command from the Linux CD to try to write the bootloader.

Linux Engineer
    In windows, you can format a floppy for it to accept linux format using your installation cd... I know it works for mandrake, im pretty sure it would work with Slack (put in the cd in windows and get the app from the "autorun menu")