Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By oz
  • 1 Post By devils casper
Hii, Finally I have decided to use Ubuntu and uninstalling windows completely, I found it very fast OS. But I have some problem, you can say confusions. have a look ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need suggestions and advice, for installation.

Hii, Finally I have decided to use Ubuntu and uninstalling windows completely, I found it very fast OS. But I have some problem, you can say confusions.
    have a look on my hardware.
    Intel dual core E5700, 4 GB 1333MHZ DDR3 Ram, 80 GB space in C drive(I'll install ubuntu in this drive), and everything is average and working as it should be. Now my confusions are :
    1 : Should I use 32bit OS, or 64 bits?
    (i have downloaded and tried both,working well, would 64 bit will be a huge improvement in performance?)

2 : Should I make swap area?
    (when i have enough ram, then should i make? Not sure what it does.)

3 : Please tell me what my partition structure should be?
    (80GB space available, Will install so many applications, need like 20-25GB space for home directory)

4 : and anything else, you can suggest me, for a perfect installation, then please suggest. I'll be thankful.

Hi, welcome to the "club"

1.- Use the one you like best. There are no huge impovements in performance. 32bits and 64bits give basically the same performance at Desktop PC level if you use a kernel with PAE so you can use all your RAM memory.
    2.- Yes, even tough it may never be used it.
    3.- You have many options:
    a) Use one large "/" and just some swap.
    b) A partition each for "/boot" , "/" , "/home" and swap
    c) Go old-school/crazy with one partitition for /,/boot, /root, /usr, /var, /home and swap.
    I'd use a partition each for "/boot" 200mb , "/" 25gb , swap 5gb and all the rest for /home . Most automatic installers will do something similar.

4.- A perfect installation is the one that works for you, you can start with the default settings one and once you learn more you can try to change somethings.

Good luck

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

If it were me, and I had the hardware you mention above...

1) 64-bit (I personally see no reason to use 32-bit)
    2) No (I never create swap space, but you might need it depending on your usage habits)
    3) / partition and /home partition only - as large as needed for your purposes (but I'd leave some unallocated space on the drive for future needs)
    4) there is no perfect installation (but as noted above whatever works best for your own needs is the best)

Let us know how it goes.
    aditvats likes this.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi and Welcome !

I agree with oz. 64bit OS, no swap partition in Desktop machine having 1-2GB+ RAM and /, /home partitions only.
    Installers of most of distros are perfect ( New users friendly ) these days and give very little options during installation. There is very less scope for a User to make installation procedure perfect or worst these days.
    aditvats likes this.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks Broo... Yes, I am going to install 64bit OS. And i have read somewhere that if you have enough ram so you don't have to make any swap, right? Actually your advice for leaving some unallocated space is pretty nice, I think i should leave some space, Thank You so much...

And i have read somewhere that if you have enough ram so you don't have to make any swap, right?
    Thats correct. For Desktop Users having 1GB+ RAM, there is no need of SWAP partition.

If you are installing Linux in Primary Partitions then make sure to leave free space before Extended Partition. I prefer Linux installation in Logical Partitions only. You can create/resize partitions easily. There is one more option. Instead of leaving free space, just create a separate partition. Use it for data storage and if you need more space in future, you can merge it easily.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks, all suggestions really helped me to understand what should i do.