Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
yancek; I didn't think of this before and it might not really mean much but I installed Mint 13 from one of the so-called live-dvds. I downloaded an iso image ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

yancek;
    I didn't think of this before and it might not really mean much but I installed Mint 13 from one of the so-called live-dvds.
    I downloaded an iso image that was supposed to be used by those who were not sure they wanted to install Mint but wanted to 'try it out' before commiting to a 'normal' install.
    I burned it to a DVD and then after booting it and playing for awhile, I used an icon on the desktop labeled 'Install' to do the installation!
    I didn't have much opportunity to participate in the install process, probably because it was designed to provide a 'basic' install for someone entirly new to Linux.
    Ray

Linux Guru
    In regard to the core.img file for Grub2, it is basically a replacement or at least similar in function to the stage2 file in Grub Legacy. I'm surprised you don't have it in the Mint /boot/grub directory. I have Mint and Ubuntu installations and they both have that file?? You have the line below in your grub.conf file for Red Hat:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda3 hdc=ide-scsi
    You have the line below in grub.cfg which looks a little weird to me. Did your Mint Grub put that in, the part after root?

linux /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda3 hdc=ide-scsi
    I don't use separate boot partition so I don't really know what problems that poses. Is the Red Hat kernel on sda2 or sda3, I would expect it to be on sda2 but have no experience with it? The root= part of the line may need to be a uuid but I don't really see why it would. It should work with the /dev entry also.

I'm surprised that Mint won't boot with a chainloader entry in Red Hat. I have chainloader entries in grub legacy to boot ext4 filesystems with grub2 and also chainload entries from grub2 to boot systems using grub legacy. It is just pointing to a sector on the drive and not trying to mount or boot anything so it usually works. Also, to answer a question you previously asked, this works booting either way from one drive to a second drive.

Getting error 13 when trying to boot Mint from Red Hat is interesting. Maybe the grub version you have didn't have the capability, I don't know.

The Live DVD you mention in your last post is the standard method of installing most Linux distributions. You can choose different options at the beginning of the install. There should have been one called "Something Else" which would have given more control and been more informative but it installed successfully.

Just Joined!
    yancek;
    Your first line 'kernel ...' is correct; your second line 'linux ...' is not -- I actually have 'linux /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/sda3 hdc=ide-scsi' (NOT 'hda3').
    Yes, Mint grub must have put the 'hdc=ide-scsi' on the line.
    Yes, the RH kernel is on /dev/sda2 -- the root file system is on /dev/sda3.
    I don't know anything about the uuid approach as opposed to the '/dev/'approach -- its another of those mysteries I'll probably have to explore sometime.
    What version of grub legacy are you using that allows you to use the chainloader approach to boot Mint -- my grub legacy version is 0.91.

At this point, I'm considering re-install of anything except WinXP.
    If I were to start over with certain assumptions, I'm wondering what your thoughts would be on how best to set things up?
    I have 2 IDE hard drives, 1 160gig and 1 40gig. Currently the 160 is the master and the 40 is the slave. I can pick which one I want to boot from in the setup program at power on by pressing the 'Del' key. I started with both drives empty and put WinXP on the 160gig using about 80gig of the drive. When I installed RH 7.3, I'm pretty sure I took the option of placing grub into the MBR as opposed to the partition boot sector (as I understand it, the MBR is the 1st physical sector of the drive, whereas the partition boot sector is the 1st sector of the partition--please correct if in error). So, the boot loader code that MS put into the MBR, I overwote when I installed RH. If I wanted to go back to square 1, before attempting any Linux installs, I should put the MS bootloader code back in the MBR using something such as FIXMBR in console recovery?
    Assuming all I've said so far is correct, then if I did these things, I should be back to the point just after completing the WinXP install (before any Linux installs).

Assuming what I just said as a starting point and further assuming using my old RH 7.3 and the Mint live-dvd I burned, how would you proceed?
    i.e. which Linux would you install 1st and on what drive, using how much space, etc.

I'd like to try it all over again (except for WinXP) primarily for the learning.

What do you think?
    Ray

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Using /dev/sda1 or something similar (depending upon the device/partition number) should work as well as a uuid. Most newer systems use uuid which you have on Mint. You can get the uuid for any partition with the command: blkid or maybe you need: sudo blkid. I'm using Grub 0.97.

Having reviewed your earlier posts, I don't really see anything that jumps out as an obvious problem.
    Everything you said in your main paragraph of the last post is correct, to my knowledge.

Possible problems you may run into no matter what you do. Not having xp on the first disk would mean adding device map entries in grub2 if you boot from Mint on a different disk. Do you want xp boot code in the mbr? or does it matter? I would put xp and Mint on the larger disk with Mint Grub2 in the mbr and install Red Hat on the second disk. I would have both drives attached at least when installing Mint but I believe you indicated previously you had both attached during your earlier installs.

Have you tried running the bootinfoscript? It outputs a lot of useful/interesting information. Link is below but I wouldn't use it until after you finish your install if you still have probelms. You might have to continue with your earlier setup, selecting boot from the BIOS. I don't really know what the problem is or even if it might be related to the age of Grub 0.91 and your Red Hat version.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
    Last edited by yancek; 03-23-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3