Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 as a dual boot with windows by giving a different partition to the Linux system. Now i want to remove the Ubuntu 12.04 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Uninstalling Ubuntu

Hi,
    I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 as a dual boot with windows by giving a different partition to the Linux system. Now i want to remove the Ubuntu 12.04 and restore my partition (merge with the local drives seen in windows) and also fix my boot loader. can anyone please help me in this as how i should go ahead? a detailed description of steps will be helpful

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Which version of windows do you have?
    How are you booting now, Ubuntu Grub? windows bootloader?
    Do you have a full windows installation CD/DVD for whichever version you are using?
    If you want just windows, you should install the windows bootloader to the master boot record first if you now have Ubuntu Grub booting both systems.
    Do you have a windows Recovery CD?
    You don't uninstall operating systems you just re-format the partition it is on and re-format or install something over it. In your situation, you need to get the windows bootloader working if you are now booting from Ubuntu Grub as a first step. Deleting the Ubuntu partition will render the computer unbootable in this scenario.

I've news for you. Linux cannot be uninstalled. You have to remove the hard drive and toss it before it affects other computers in your household. Happened to me. As of today all my PC's are running Linux or BSD and I'm unable to install Windows on any of them.
    Seriously, this is not a Linux question. It may be a GRUB question, but GRUB is not part of GNU/Linux.

How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
    Last edited by Segfault; 03-22-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Good advice given by yancek. Make sure that you have installation/recovery media at hand before you remove Ubuntu from your drive.
    If you have that, then you should be able to simply instal Windows, over-writing Linux.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    @yancek....

Hii..
    Ya i m booting from Ubuntu Grub and i am currently running windows 7 home basic and i do have dvd.. now my concern is previously i had tried to remove ubuntu from my system by fixing my MBR of windows and then reformatting the partition installed with Ubuntu. But the problem i faced is i couldn't merge that unallocated partition to my other logical drives; as a result that partition went unused and i had to reformat the whole HDD. so is there any other way how i can resolve this problem ?

Linux Guru
    How many partitions do you have. If you still have Ubuntu or any Linux Live CD, boot it and run this command: sudo fdisk -l(that is a Lower Case Letter L in the comand and it will output drive/partition information you can post here for help.