Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to install various Linux distros alongside Windows 8, with no luck. Mint and OpenSUSE KDE are the ones that seem to be the most successful so far. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can run from USB, but won't permanently install.

I've been trying to install various Linux distros alongside Windows 8, with no luck. Mint and OpenSUSE KDE are the ones that seem to be the most successful so far. Both of them allow me to boot from the LiveUSB, and I run the install, but then when I restart the computer without the USB, it just goes straight to Windows 8. What am I doing wrong?

Some questions:
    I had to mess around with boot order/UEFI stuff in order to get it to boot from USB, do I need to change anything again to get it to boot from hard disk?

Not entirely sure what to do with partitions... I was creating a ~20GB ext4 partition before booting from the USB, is that right?

If someone wants to just give me good step-by-step instructions on what to do with a LiveUSB, including any partitioning and what-not I need to do, I'd appreciate it. Because I am at a loss right now.

Just Joined!
    So I found a video with instructions, youtube.com/watch?v=E_Yd2jK-7Jg
    I had done some things differently regarding partitions and such, so I followed the video exactly. Same result. Only thing I wasn't able to follow on the video was, when creating the two partitions under the install, I did not have the option to choose Partition Type "Logical" or "Primary", the option just wasn't there for me (around 3:00 in the video). Not sure if this is the problem or not.

Linux Guru
    Do you have secure boot on the machine? If so you need to disable it to boot a Linux distribution.
    Where did you install the Linux bootloader?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Where did you install the Linux bootloader?
    Um... Not sure what exactly is the Linux bootloader?

As for secure boot, etc, this is what I have under System Configuration Boot Options:
    CD-ROM Boot: Enabled
    Internal Network Adapter Boot: Disabled
    Network Boot Protocol: <IPv4+IPv6 (UEFI)>
    Legacy Support: Disabled
    Secure Boot: Disabled
    Platform Key: Enrolled
    Pending Action: None
    Clear All Secure Boot Keys
    Load HP Factory Default Keys

UEFI Boot Order:
    * USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk
    * USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
    * OS Boot Manager
    * Internal CD/DVD ROM DRIVE
    * !Network Adapter

Legacy Boot Order [This is grayed out, presumably because Legacy Boot is disabled, but here's the order:]
    * Notebook Hard Drive
    * Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
    * USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk
    * USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
    * ! Network Adapter

Looking at the Legacy Boot, it looks like it would need to be enabled to use an older version of Windows. Does it also need to be enabled to use Linux? Will I still be able to use Windows 8 if it's enabled? I didn't want to mess with the settings too much because I don't really know what I'm doing.

Oh, and because I didn't put it above, I'm running an HP2000-2c20DX Notebook with Intel Core i3. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    You have Secure Boot shown as disabled so that presumably is not the problem. You might have to enable Legacy Boot but I haven't used any machine with Secure Boot and only used windows 8 in a virtual machine. All operating systems have a bootloader or they wouldn't boot. They just have different names and with most Linux distributions it is Grub. I'm not sure what the procedure is. You might have to disable it to boot Linux then enable it to boot windows. I expect there is an easier way to do this but I don't know. You might google 'booting Linux with windows 8 secure boot'. I've seen a number of articles and discussions but since I don't have windows 8, haven't paid much attention to it. The site below has some information and there are numerous other sites.

Linux Foundation releases Windows Secure Boot fix | ZDNet

I'm seeing the same issue, only I'm not trying to dual boot.

I run the distro fine in live mode but after install and the boot up logo for my mobo shows, it goes right to a blank orange screen (installing ubuntu). I never get the grub menu either. I've tried 32 bit, 64 bit, v12.04, v12.10, v13.04 and they all do it.

Linux Guru
    Dual boot with what? windows 8? Do you have Secure Boot? If so, is it disabled in the BIOS?
    Are you installing Ubuntu from a bootable flash drive? Where did you select to install the Ubuntu bootloader? It should default to mbr unless you changed it. Have you removed the bootable medium before rebooting?