Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to install a Linux OS on an external HDD?? It is an ATA in an enclosure with USB 2.0. I'm asking about a full install and not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install on external HDD???

Is it possible to install a Linux OS on an external HDD?? It is an ATA in an enclosure with USB 2.0. I'm asking about a full install and not a live boot

Linux Guru
    Sure. If unsure or afeared. Disconnect internal drive on computer before booting live dvd or cd. That way only the external drive will show during the install process. Install grub to mbr on external
    drive. When done. Reconnect internal drive and use bios to pick the drive/operating system you wish to boot into.

Oldy writeup I did for something like what you want to do (generally/generic)

Yet Another Technology Site: Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Sure. If unsure or afeared. Disconnect internal drive on computer before booting live dvd or cd. That way only the external drive will show during the install process. Install grub to mbr on external
    drive. When done. Reconnect internal drive and use bios to pick the drive/operating system you wish to boot into.

Oldy writeup I did for something like what you want to do (generally/generic)

Yet Another Technology Site: Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive
    Ok, Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close