Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Booting from USB

I recently bought a samsung series 9 ultrabook (np900x4c-a05au) and am trying to install a linux distribution (dual boot) on it.

The machine won't boot from usb (no cd drive), I have disabled fast boot from the bios, used two different (ntfs formatted) usbs and tried all 3 usb ports.

I tried using unetbootin, universal usb installer, diskimager and linux live usb creator to make the image on the usb.

I tried using ubuntu, kubuntu and kali on the usb.

By pressing f10 I can see the usb in the boot menu, however the machine will not boot from the usb (even when disabling boot from hdd in the bios).

Does anyone know anything else I can try, or how to fix this?

Linux Guru
    Do you mean you can't get it to boot from a usb or that there is no option to boot from a usb in the BIOS? If the latter is the problem, I think using the Plop boot manager might help. If the problem is the former, has it ever booted from a usb?

There is a boot option when I press f10 and the bios can see it, but when I select it, it won't boot from the usb.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm having the same issue as neutralise. I have tried all the USB creaters he has and have even tried throwing in a DVD drive into the computer to burn linux to a CD/DVD. In all cases the distro won't boot. As yancek asked, I can boot from the USB drive but the image ON the USB drive won't boot up and show if I want to try/install/check media. 9/10 times i get an error. The only distro that I have found that worked fine with the USB creators was ubuntu.

For instance, trying to boot a live version of Fedora failed so i found their utility to make a live usb. The utility completed successfully but when booting from it I get something along the lines of "isolinux/vmlinuz0 not found". How the heck can that be? I'm making a Fedora usb installer with a Fedora utility and it's complaining about a file it was supposed to put in?.....
    Also, I found an old Fedora 17 cd and booted that and it booted just fine. Trying opensuse 12.3 on a DVD for the most part booted but then seemed to freeze before showing the login screen (using live edition).

The images I have downloaded are all good and I can boot the iso's perfectly in a virtual machine. I even use the "check media" option in the virtual machine and it shows it's fine. However, as soon as I put it on the CD/DVD/USB, the physical computer complains to no end...

I have been through the BIOS and I can't see anything that I think would affect it but I could be wrong. At this point I'm completely dumbfounded as to why I'm having a difficult time. I have always burned images with little issue (on CD/DVD).

Regarding the USB boot issue, check the "allow legacy USB" setting in the BIOS. Some (all?) USB keys cannot boot if legacy is disabled.

I checked and legacy is enabled.
    Just tried openSUSE on USB again and when it boots it goes to the GRUB menu but the only option in there is "Default", which does nothing but loop right back to the same menu.

I downloaded Fedora 14 to see if maybe the issue was with new versions. I used unetbootin and it created the live install. I booted it up and it worked just fine. So it does seem that newer versions are the issue but can't be 100%.