Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thank you very much rokytnji. Your examples have been very helpful. I've made some progress, and understand a little more about how to find some things, but I'm still not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thank you very much rokytnji. Your examples have been very helpful. I've made some progress, and understand a little more about how to find some things, but I'm still not up and running yet.

I found the /boot/grub/menu.lst and made the change to root (hd0,0). However, I looked in the /etc directory for tstab, but couldn't find it.
    My menu.lst now looks like this:
    Code:
    # /boot/grub/menu.lst: GRUB boot loader configuration
    #

#By default, boot the first entry.
    #Boot automatically after 8 secs.
    timeout 8

# Graphical splash image.
    splashimage =/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

# Change the colors.
    #color yellow/brown light-green/black

# For booting SliTaz from : /dev/sdd1
    #

title SliTaz GNU/Linux (cooking) (Kernel vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz root=/dev/sdd1 quiet
    I'm loading this externally on a PC with numerous hard drives, so when I ran blkid I had quite a list. The Libretto's hard drive was listed as sdd1. I tried unmounting the other drives, but they still showed up in the list.

I also ran fdisk -l and there is no * under the Libretto's Boot column. You mentioned "gparted." Is that an application I need to run to change boot flags?

Thanks for your help thus far. I'm making progress, even if it is baby steps in the dark.

The Libretto's hard drive was listed as sdd1
    That is not going to work as when it goes into the librretto. The Slitaz OS will see the hard drive as /dev/sda1. This moving hard drives and then not being able to be able to boot a live slitaz on the libretto is kinda a catch 22 kinda problem since you can't run live on the libretto.

I also ran fdisk -l and there is no * under the Libretto's Boot column. You mentioned "gparted." Is that an application I need to run to change boot flags?
    Yeah. While the drive is out of the libretto and in the other computer and you are running Slitaz. Flag the libretto drive as boot with right click on partition like this image shows using Gparted Partition manager.

Hmmmm. No /etc/fstab huh. are you sure

try
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    to be sure. Hopefully. I don't know. But maybe just flagging the drive with the boot flag and the change you made to (hd0.0) will get the durn libretto to boot so you can further go into /etc/fstab and fix it.
    I hope yaneck is reading this. Maybe he can skin this cat better than me.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Ok. I remember gparted now. I used it to clear the disk when I put SliTaz on it in the first place. Flagging it shouldn't be a problem. And I have fstab. It was /etc/tstab that I couldn't find. I suppose I could power down my computer, manually disconnect my other hard drives and then run and reinstall that way. Since the live disk runs in RAM I shouldn't need the other hard drives, right? Kinda extreme, but it might work.

manually disconnect my other hard drives and then run and reinstall that way
    Yes, you betcha. Do it that way. Then there will be no problems with /boot/grub/menu.lst or /etc/fstab as the live Slitaz will only be dealing with one drive.
    That is the best way IMO.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Well, that didn't work. I think I'm closer to getting things done, but still not up and running. I disconnected all my other hard drives and ran the install again, but when I reconnected my other hard drives my boot order or something was messed up. I haven't been able to boot Windows for a week. I finally took it in to get fixed today. Now I'm getting a different error on my Libretto than I was before. Hopefully you can make something of this.

Code:
     Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
      [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3400, size 0x25d3f0]
    ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 13
    ERROR: Unable to locate IOPAIC for GSI 1
    ERROR: Unable to locate IOPAIC for GSI 12
    ERROR: Unable to locate IOPAIC for GSI 8
    ERROR: Unable to locate IOPAIC for GSI 5
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
    Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.37-slitaz #2
    Call Trace:
      [<c1378112>] ? printk+0xf/0x11
      [<c1378008>] panic+0x50/0x14b
      [<c1507b55>] mount_block_root+0x1e5/0x1f9
      [<c108a658>] ? sys_mknod+0x13/0x15
      [<c1507c6e>] mount_root+0x4c/0x54
      [<c1507db6>] prepare_namespace+0x140/0x171
      [<c15078ad>] kernel_init+0x17f/0x18e
      [<c150772e>] ? kernel_init+0x0/0x18e
      [<c1003a76>] kernel_thread_helper+0x6/0x10
    I hope someone can make sense of that, because it's all gibberish to me.

Linux Guru
    I think you were closer before. The menu.lst entry you posted above showed a root line looking for sda1 (hd0,0) and the kernel line pointing to sdd1 which won't work. You also did not have an initrd line. I'm not sure which release of Slitaz you have, but below is a menu.lst entry for Slitaz which boots:

title SliTaz-4.0 core Live
    kernel /boot/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal autologin
    initrd /boot/rootfs.gz
    Major different from your entry. I think it would have been easier to install Slitaz with your drive in the second computer. After the install completed, you could have mounted the Libretto drive, opened a text editor as root and made a correct entry in the menu.lst, root (hd0,0) and root=/dev/sda1. I'm not sure why you were not able to do a one time edit from the command line when booting as suggested above. That usually works.

Did you modify the entry you posted above? Surprised there is no initrd line if you did not.

Just Joined!
    There was a line before what I posted above.
    Code:
      Booting SliTaz GNU/Linux (cooking) (Kernel vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz)
    I'll try what you're saying and see if I can't get it to work. Thanks for the advise.

Linux Guru
    The line I was referring to is the third line in the entry I posted beginning with 'initrd'. I've installed different versions of Slitaz and as I recall, it always had an initrd line. Also the kernel pointed to a bzImage file on the kernel line.

Hopefully, using the Live CD to mount the Slitaz partition and make the changes will resolve the problem. Make sure you get the right drive to mount.

Just Joined!
    I've reinatalled again and made the suggested changes to the menu.lst file. I also ran fdisk -l.
    I ran fdisk -l with the drive mounted externally on my main box, so the drive is still listed as sdd1, I was hoping that making the changes to the menu.lst file would fix any problems that might bring up, but it didn't. Here is the result of the fdisk -l:
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
    /dev/sda1               1          13      102400   7 HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
    /dev/sda2   *          13      121602   976657408   7 HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary

Disk /dev/sdc: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders

/dev/sdc1               1      243202  1953512448   7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders

/dev/sdb1               1      121602   976759808   7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdd: 6495 MB, 6495068160 bytes
    160 heads, 10 sectors/track, 7928 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 1600 * 512 = 819200 bytes

/dev/sdd1   *           2        7929     6341632  83 Linux
    And here is what my menu.lst file looks like now:
    Code:
    # /boot/grub/menu.lst: GRUB boot loader configuration.
    #

# By default, boot the first entry.
    default 0

# Boot automatically after 8 secs.
    timeout 8

# Graphical splash image.
    splashimage=/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

# Change the colors.
    #color yellow/brown light-green/black

# For booting SliTaz from : /dev/sda1
    #
    title SliTaz GNU/Linux (cooking) (Kernel vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz root=/dev/sda1 quiet
    I hope that whatever needs to be done can be done from the command line during boot. I'm afraid that if I take the disk out and put it back in too many times the machine will just give up on me. I've tried using some of the same commands in the command line as I did in the terminal, but they didn't work. Thank you so much for your patience.

Just Joined!
    I've made a huge step forward! But I'm still not quite there. At the suggestion of someone on another forum I changed the sda1 in:
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz root=/dev/sda1 quiet
    to hda1. It worked; mostly. I've got it up and running, but I have no GUI. I have only the command line. I can still start studying from here, but I was really hoping to have at least a bit of something slightly familiar to start off with. Since I've come this far might I be able to install something from a USB? This thing does have a USB drive. Any suggestions from here?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast