Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
You might try typing 'startx' at the prompt to get the GUI (without quotes). Which release of Slitaz are you using? The menu entry I posted above is from slitaz-4.0-core.iso. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

You might try typing 'startx' at the prompt to get the GUI (without quotes).
    Which release of Slitaz are you using? The menu entry I posted above is from slitaz-4.0-core.iso. It doens't point to the kernel (vmlinuz file) as your entry does. Do you have a bzImage file in the boot directory as well as a rootfs.gz file?

Just Joined!
    I've tried startx. It doesn't work. It tells me it can't find a usable screen. There is a long list of many errors, but they all boil down to that.
    I thought I was using 4.0, but the file name I got is just slitaz-4.0.iso. I don't have a core on mine. Not sure what happened there.

Linux Guru
    I;ve been watching hoping yanek would get you going (I consider him a better linux user than me)

I wonder when you install Slitaz on that other computer whether it built a /etc/X11/xorg.conf that is killing startx.
    Most current distros did away with xorg.conf (I know I don't use one in AntiX)
    I am not sure how to go about either editing, rename as xorg.confbkup,or just deleting it will get you to a Desktop
    on that Libretto.

I figure the vesa driver should handle the libretto also.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    There are differences between the 'core' Slitaz and the version you have but I don't know that would be the reason you are having problems. Did you mount it from some other Linux system and look at the iso file? Do you have rootfs.gz and bzImage files in the Slitaz boot directory. When I loop mount the Slitaz iso I see the following:

boot/ index.html md5sum README style.css
    All the important files are in the /boot directory shown below:

bzImage gpxe grub/ isolinux/ rootfs.gz vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz
    Maybe the files are different because you don't have the core iso but I think your version has several rootfs.gz files with numbers. Try comparing your output to the above.

Linux Guru
    I downloaded and installed the same Slitaz iso (slitaz-4.0.iso) you used and after rebooting, the menu.lst entry was pretty much the same as yours in post #19, shown below:

title SliTaz GNU/Linux (cooking) (Kernel vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz root=/dev/sda1 quiet
    So an initrd line isn't necessary and your Grub entry is not the problem.

Just Joined!
    I'm wondering if maybe hardware isn't the problem. It's only got an Intel Pentium 266 MHz MMX with 64 MB RAM. It's pretty archaic. I could get a bit more RAM for it, there are still a handful of specialty shops around, but could I really do much with that? I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the effort.

Linux Guru
    I think Slitaz could run on the hardware you have but it won't be fast. I think the problem is that you have installed it on a computer which has specific hardware so when Slitaz boots it is looking for or expecting certain hardware, graphics drivers, etc. and all of this is different on your Libretto. This is one of the difficulties in moving a system from one computer to another, particularly when the hardware is so different.

Since you don't have a CD drive and it probably won't boot from a usb, I don't know what you could do actually. Netinstall might be worth looking into, check the Slltaz site/forums.

Just Joined!
    I've been asking around on the SliTaz forums as well. I've got a bit of help from there. Someone there suggested I run an older version. I might try that. Is there any way I could get it to kind of recheck the hardware and reset itself to the Libretto?

By the way, what is Netinstall?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortnBearded View Post
    I've been asking around on the SliTaz forums as well. I've got a bit of help from there. Someone there suggested I run an older version. I might try that. Is there any way I could get it to kind of recheck the hardware and reset itself to the Libretto?

By the way, what is Netinstall?
    Maybe, but I might be mistaken in what Yaneck means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-MX2B4OpO8

I have not found a pxe tutorial yet for booting Slitaz but I remember there was a guy on youtube video showing him installing Slitaz on a bunch of remote computers.
    I just can't find it now though. My internet speeds are choked down. The videos I am referring to are a average of 30 minutes long and is a 3 or 4 part series video. I found those videos searching for something else and never bookmarked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zBsHXVXJYM

Network Install HOWTO: Quick Guide

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3