Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
A friend of mine gave me an old Libretto several years ago and while I used it here and there for a couple years, it's sat unused in a drawer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running SliTaz on a Libretto

A friend of mine gave me an old Libretto several years ago and while I used it here and there for a couple years, it's sat unused in a drawer for the past few years. I've recently taken an interest in Linux so I did some research and decided to try to run SliTaz on it.

I downloaded the .iso from the site and burned it to a CD. I took the hard drive out of the Libretto, hooked it up via USB to my (Windows) desktop and installed SliTaz on to the Libretto's hard drive. I put the Libretto back together and turned it on. It looks like it's going to work, and then I get:

Booting SliTaz GNU/Linux (cooking) (Kernel vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz)
    root (hd3,0)

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

Press any key to conitnue...

My problem is, I can't find the "any" key.

Seriously though, I'm thinking maybe somehow directories got misplaced or something, and I don't know how to put them where they belong. I hope someone can help.

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

The likely problem is that the drive is not being recognized as the same device (sda vs sdb, etc.). You could fix it. It would require booting into rescue mode on the Libretto using a Live CD (like SysRescCd or a Fedora / Ubuntu install DVD, etc.), and then examining your hard drive (fdisk will be of use here). Then you'd have to mount the hard drive, and edit /etc/fstab to reflect the proper drive name and then re-run the bootloader installer (probably grub but not sure).

but honestly, the easiest thing to do would probably be to reinstall. The Libretto is that tiny netbook, right? Does it have USB? If so, you could ether use a USB DVD Drive (which I assume you don't have as you made the effort to remove the HDD) or a USB thumb drive, if the machine supports booting off of it. If it does, you can grab Unetbootin and put the Slitaz and put the ISO on it.

Or maybe the Libretto supports PXE (network boot)? If so, you could put a temporary DHCP/TFTP server on your LAN to serve up a PXE boot image. I know Fedora and Ubuntu support this method, not sure about Slitaz.

Linux Guru
    Did you use your windows desktop because you don't have a CD drive on the Libretto? You could use a flash drive of pretty much any size (Slitaz is 36MB) and on windows go to the site for universal usb installer and download their program, run it and put Slitaz on the flash. Then you need to modify the menu.lst file in /boot/grub on your hard drive as well as the /etc/fstab file. The error you report indicates Slitaz is looking for the boot files on the third hard drive, first partition and I doubt you have three hard drives attached to it. Of course, if your Libretto can't boot from a usb either that won't help.

Code:
    root (hd3,0)
    I would change to

Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    You should be able to edit boot at the grub screen to what I posted. Though i don't know if Slitaz is using grub legacy or grub2 as the default during install.

If grub legacy. Press 'e' to start editing when the grub screen comes up. For grub2 hit the shift key repeatedly first before you can edit.

Edit: these changes won't stick. So edit either /boot/grub/menu.lst
    as root using default text editor in Slitaz for grub legacy.

For Grub 2. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

2nd edit: Like yaneck said. Your /etc/fstab fie is probably wrote wrong also. Going with a live slitaz pendrive install with unetbootin and boot it up from bios with usb booting first to edit everything would be the primo way to go. Running Live you can run the fdisk -l command and blkid command as root in terminal to get the proper id's of your internal drive for /etc/fstab.

Easy way out. If pendrive boot works. Just do a reinstall and point the internal installer to the internal hard drive. I got a feeling though the bios on your gear won't handle usb boot though.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 04-07-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I have zero experience with Linux or programming. That's one reason I thought I'd start simple with some old hardware. The Libretto is early 2000s and I'm fairly certain it won't do a USB boot. I was figuring that it was looking in the wrong place, but I'm not sure how to get it to look in the right place. I don't mind pulling it apart again and reloading or whatever; I love taking stuff apart. I believe I was seeing grub in the command lines, so I'll see what I can do with your contributions. Thanks for the assist. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Just Joined!
    Ok. From what I'm seeing so far, the boot is trying to load the first hard disk, first partition, but the hard disk in the box is labeled as the fourth disk, first partition. I've found that I can access the command line, and that it uses grub. My question is, can I change the labeling of the disk from the command line, or do I have to take the hard drive out, reinstall SliTaz on it, being careful to label the disk properly. If it can be done via command line, I would greatly appreciate exact commands, as I've said before, I really don't know anything about that. I was hoping to start working on that once I got the system up and running, but I haven't even gotten that far yet. Thanks again for anything you can offer.

Code:
    My question is, can I change the labeling of the disk from the command line,
    Like I said. Just press e to edit using command line for grub legacy when grub screen shows up.
    It won't hurt to try. Either it won't work. Or. It will work but like I said. Changes won't be saved.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I've tried making the edit and it didn't work. As was mentioned it's likely my /etc/fstab was written wrong. This is an old and very basic piece of equipment, so booting from anything but the hard disk is, I believe, impossible. I'll have to open it up again and likely reinstall to the hard drive as an external like I did before. What do I need to do to make sure everything is labeled properly so that it can all be found when it's time to boot up?

When you pull the hard drive and instead of going through a reinstall.

Run the live session of Slitaz and mount the libretto hard driive first .

Then go into /boot/grub/menu.lst and do the

Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    change, the save it and exit. You will need to open Slitaz File Manager or Open Slitaz default text editor as root to accomplish this.
    The same applies for the /etc/tstab editing.

I use the UUID identification for fstab.
    For you. /dev/sda or dev/hda ,(depending on kernel, which is a long story so google it), will probably suffice.

my file examples on my little netbook for reference /boot/grub/menu.lst on my drive (not slitaz but antiX)

Code:
    title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.7.8-antix.1-486-smp
    root		(hd0,0)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-3.7.8-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=19329640-68e2-4120-806c-e3f2f6877612 ro 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-3.7.8-antix.1-486-smp
    the blkid command to get /dev/sdx numbering (yours might show /dev/hdx, I don't know for sure as I don't run slitaz)

Code:
    harry@biker:~
    $ su
    Password: 
    root@biker:/home/harry# blkid
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="/" UUID="19329640-68e2-4120-806c-e3f2f6877612" TYPE="ext2" 
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="/home" UUID="09265858-962d-4694-8f5b-c6ddf2e961b4" TYPE="ext2"
    /dev/sda2 is my separate /home partition I made during install. You should probably not have one unless /dev/sda2 is /swap partition)

my /etc/fstab (uses UUID)

Code:
    $ cat /etc/fstab
    # Pluggable devices are handled by uDev, they are not in fstab
    UUID=19329640-68e2-4120-806c-e3f2f6877612 / auto defaults,noatime 1 1
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
    UUID=09265858-962d-4694-8f5b-c6ddf2e961b4 /home auto defaults,noatime 1 2
    # Dynamic entries below
    tmpfs /media/ramdisk tmpfs size=64M,nr_inodes=10k,mode=777 0 0
    # Added by antiX
    /dev/sda1        /media/sda1      ext2       noauto,exec,relatime,users      0 0
    # Added by antiX
    /dev/sdc1        /media/sdc1      vfat       noauto,uid=1000,gid=users,dmask=002,fmask=113,relatime,users  0 0
    # Added by antiX
    /dev/sdb1        /media/sdb1      vfat       noauto,uid=1000,gid=users,dmask=002,fmask=113,relatime,users  0 0
    # Added by antiX
    /dev/sda2        /media/sda2      ext2       noauto,exec,relatime,users      0 0
    I know you are new to this stuff. I am comfortable running linux but I do not make a good teacher being a tattoed linux motorcycle riding biker.
    So that is the best I can do in my way to explain on what you need to do. The ball is in your court now.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

another command you can use also is to help troubleshoot

Code:
    $ su 
    Password: 
    root@biker:/home/harry# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 63 GB, 63326430720 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7699 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System 
    /dev/sda1   *           1        1148     9221278   83  Linux

/dev/sda2            1148        7700    52628940   83  Linux
    See the asterik/* under boot. That needs to be there also for Slitaz to boot. That is called flagging a drive as bootable in gparted.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast