Find the answer to your Linux question:
Installing packages on debian based distros are very difficult and painful than installing packages on rpm based distros.I have used several Linux distros and the distro which was very user ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

About package management subsystem of debian

Installing packages on debian based distros are very difficult and painful than installing packages on rpm based distros.I have used several Linux distros and the distro which was very user friendly was opensuse especially in the way it installs packages and resolving dependencies and I am expecting yast and package manager similar to openSUSE on debian upcoming release wheezy.

I have requested about these issues on debian forums but the response was not good.

Someone already started to port yast to debian but stopped due to lack of resources.

I would be happy if these happen.

Regards,
    Rupesh.

The basic usage of rpm and deb based system is very much alike.
    yum install <package> vs apt-get install <package>
    Both commands also resolve dependencies within given repositories.

So, can you explain and give examples for your claims?

Other than that:
    If you want yast on debian, you can develop it yourself.
    The licence is gpl, so nothing is stopping you.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Synaptic is the graphical package manager in Debian. Personally, I found the graphic installer in openSUSE to be very clunky and primitive in comparison, although not as bad as the ones in RHEL. Most command line package managers, are about as easy to use as each other. yum, apt, aptitude, pacman, zypper among others all work well.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

GUI tools are easy and preferable than command line based.

On openSuse package manager if we try to install a package in a repository and if it conflicts or another package need to be installed and if the above process repeats it will recursively prompt for the changes like these packages have to be uninstalled and these packages need to be installed additionally etc.,. It will never throw the system into broken and it will try hard.

On debian suppose I try to install huge number of packages the system is going to be definitely broken.

On openSuse with few mouse cliks we can install a number of packages while on debian it's not possible.

Actually I am not a talented programmer and I am learning programming and administration now.

Quote Originally Posted by rupeshforu3 View Post
    GUI tools are easy and preferable than command line based.
    This statement is wrong.
    Because it does not differentiate between use cases and userbases.
    An enduser might like GUIs, a sysadmin (like me) definitively not.
    Command line tools are lighter, more versatile, can be chained together and be used for scripting and/or automating.

Quote Originally Posted by rupeshforu3 View Post
    On openSuse package manager if we try to install a package in a repository and if it conflicts or another package need to be installed and if the above process repeats it will recursively prompt for the changes like these packages have to be uninstalled and these packages need to be installed additionally etc.,. It will never throw the system into broken and it will try hard.

On debian suppose I try to install huge number of packages the system is going to be definitely broken.

On openSuse with few mouse cliks we can install a number of packages while on debian it's not possible.
    I used to maintain 7000+ debian machines.
    The deb package system is not the problem.
    In fact it is very mature, stable and highly sophisticated.
    Not only in technical terms, but also in management and workflow areas.
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/de...e/ch02.en.html
    http://release.debian.org/

If you want to use debian, my suggestion is to take a bit of time to learn he debian way and philosophy.
    For example: They do not by default enable non-free software repositories.
    Or they need to consider multiple platforms for their releases, not just x86.
    Start here
    Debian -- About Debian
    Debian -- Support
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Sir I am not an administrator right now but have basic unix concepts so I am end user only.

apt package management is good and what I am expecting is it's GUI frontend to be more sophisticated.

Not to mention I am greedy about installing maximum number of packages available in local repositories. Is there any script or tool on debian in order to accomplish this without being resulted in broken state.

Sir I already said that debian package management is not good but everyone answered that debian package management is very sophisticated and I believed in you and obtained wheezy AMD64 installation DVDs and now I am getting error messages every day like unable to initialize debconf frontend: Newt.

I have posted about these issues in Debian forums then I got serious warning messages from different people.

I have believed upto now that GNU software is very efficient than proprietary software but I don't know whether it's true or not.

One thing I can't understand about Debian system is why it contains many subsystems under package management like apt, dpkg and again dpkg contains subsystems like debconf etc.,. and if there is any error in any of these the total system is corrupted.

I am using debian starting from etch and while installing squeeze I got errors related to mdadm and the total system was unbootable.While installing wheezy I am frequently getting the error "unable to initialize debconf frontend: Newt" and I am trying a lot inorder to get rid of this issue. I don't why no why Debian community provide buggy software on their repositories.

OpenSUSE also contains a number of packages available via online approximately 25000 packages and if we install all the above packages the system will function even better and the system will never be thrown into broken state. Operating suse is a pleasant experience.

What I am expecting is debian system needs to be redesigned.

I won't hate Linux and any of it's distros but I feel happy if those distros work properly.