Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'd like to create a Linux based USB bootable drive for my laptop. I tried the using the Universal USB Pen Drive installer, but it didn't work. Basically all I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating a Linux based USB bootable, not for Windows.

I'd like to create a Linux based USB bootable drive for my laptop. I tried the using the Universal USB Pen Drive installer, but it didn't work.

Basically all I have on my laptop is Fuduntu.
    What I'd like to be able to do is install either Ubuntu or Mint, but it seems like 99% of the installers out there are made to be Windows bootable USB keys.

Is there any simple way to create a USB bootable via linux for linux?

Thanks.

Trusted Penguin
    hi,

have you tried Unetbootin?

Just Joined!
    Yep, sure have.

However, when I do the part where it says "properties> permissions and check EXECUTE"...
    =====================================
    If using Linux, make the file executable (using either the command chmod +x ./unetbootin-linux, or going to Properties->Permissions and checking "Execute"), then start the application, you will be prompted for your password to grant the application administrative rights, then the main dialog will appear, where you select a distribution and install target (USB Drive or Hard Disk), then reboot when prompted.
    =====================================

...it won't open (or run)...

In terminal I'm not sure exactly what I should be typing where, etc.etc..

Fuduntu, SUCKS. Steer clear of it people.

Just Joined!
    Did you run chmod, or check/enable the Execute flag? After doing that and running the program, what error do you get?

Background: in a terminal, cd to the folder where you put unetbootin-linux > use the ls command (that's lowercase LS) to list the files > make sure unetbootin-linux is in the list > run chmod +x unetbootin-linux to make the file executable > type ./unetbootin-linux (that beginning period and slash are required) > press Enter > either UNetBootin will launch, or an error will be displayed > reply back with the error, if you get one

Another option is to try one of the options on this page, which shows how to create a USB key that boots Linux using Windows (it will boot into Linux, but you create the bootable USB from Windows)

Or try YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer). Although YUMI allows you to add multiple OSs to a single USB key, it will work with a single OS of your choice.