Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail 64-bit, on my Dell Inspiron 15z laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8. I wish to dual-boot Windows 8 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[all variants] LiveUSB not booting in (U)EFI mode

Hey,

I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail 64-bit, on my Dell Inspiron 15z laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8. I wish to dual-boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13.04 without formatting my existing OEM Windows 8 in the (U)EFI mode. I have disabled the SecureBoot option in the (U)EFI system, but every time I try to boot the LiveUSB (which I used made bootable using LinuxLive USB Creator), it shows the GRUB2 Bootloader, but the screen just simply blanks out right after I choose any option from the GRUB menu. Nothing happens after that; the indicator on my USB pendrive also becomes steady. I tried leaving the system as is for as long as 7hrs (when I went off to sleep), but nothing happened. It was the same blank screen. It always freezes at the same point.

The reason why I prefixed this thread with "[all variants]" is because I don't think this issue is limited to any one Linux distro/flavour

If anyone has any solutions to suggest that would help me solve my problem, that would be great and appreciated.

I just went thought this type of problem (live Fedora on USB) basically you need to go into bios and in the boot order select the UBS and not the UEFI USB. Hopefully you will have both options. Also if you do this several times remember that you will most likely have to make this change in your Bios every time you reboot. If you only see the UEFI USB to select then you will have to find a management for the drives somewhere in Bios. Mine was a just a few steps down so hopefully you will see something close by, once you do find that you should be able to switch back and forth between the UEFI and regular USB. Again, if you reboot several times you may have to do this step again as well.

Hope that was helpful

Did you get the distro installed and then booting after install you get the blank screen?

If, so I also get that. I get the distro installed from DVD or USB and restart the system to boot off the hard drive and it goes to a blank orange screen (installing ubuntu). I've tried 32 bit, 64 bit, v12.04, v12.10, v13.04 and all of them end of the exact same. Running the distros in live mode works fine though. Thought it might be because I installed on a SSD so I installed on a normal HDD and it did the same thing. Is that what you're seeing @divine?

I was able to install Fedora 18 on a new laptop with windows 8 on it... I had to install from a USB since the laptop did not have a DVD. I was able to get it to work fine but I Hated Windows 8 so I it is now all Fedora. Anyway, when you installed Ubuntu, did you create a [ /boot ] partition? ... I did and it worked for me. I usually do not do that when I duel boot but I read somewhere that I needed to do that for windows 8. You might look up "boot repair" I see that someone mentioned it worked for them on this thread... [SOLVED] Ubuntu 12.10 dualboot windows 8
    Last edited by bujums; 05-06-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling error

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bujums View Post
    I just went thought this type of problem (live Fedora on USB) basically you need to go into bios and in the boot order select the UBS and not the UEFI USB. Hopefully you will have both options. Also if you do this several times remember that you will most likely have to make this change in your Bios every time you reboot. If you only see the UEFI USB to select then you will have to find a management for the drives somewhere in Bios. Mine was a just a few steps down so hopefully you will see something close by, once you do find that you should be able to switch back and forth between the UEFI and regular USB. Again, if you reboot several times you may have to do this step again as well.

Hope that was helpful
    I wanted to boot both OSes in (U)EFI mode. Switching back and forth to and from (U)EFI mode is simply a tedious process. Moreover, in the non-(U)EFI mode, the Ubuntu partition manager couldn't recognize my internal HDD. Instead it showed only the partition table of the LiveUSB I had used to boot Ubuntu with. So, I assumed that I could install it only in the (U)EFI mode. And my reading posts in other forums proved it too.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.frost View Post
    Did you get the distro installed and then booting after install you get the blank screen?
    No Jason.frost, I wasn't able to install Distro. The screen blanks when I boot from a LiveUSB in (U)EFI mode with SecureBoot Disabled. I can't use any of the options in the GRUB2 bootloader (i.e., Try Ubuntu without installing, Install Ubuntu, Check Disk for Errors). All these options converge to a blank screen upon selection. I can't even boot into the Live Session to try Boot-Repair.

Just Joined!
    Guys,,

I finally figured out my problem... It's a thing with my NVidia graphics card... Probably because the kernel boots into the graphics card first to do the POST operations... Since there are conflicts with Ubuntu and NVidia graphics, that's probably the problem. I tried booting into a laptop with an AMD graphics card and it worked perfect even with SecureBoot ON.

Anyone knows how to Enable the nomodeset option before booting into the the kernel?
    Last edited by divine_shine; 05-08-2013 at 07:06 AM.