Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have downloaded Slitaz 4.0 Core. I have made a bootable USB with unetbootin. Now when I restart and try to boot from USB stick it actually BOOT! It asks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Can't Boot To Slitaz 4.0 !

I have downloaded Slitaz 4.0 Core.
    I have made a bootable USB with unetbootin. Now when I restart and try to boot from USB stick it actually BOOT! It asks for language and keyboard layout. But after that Black Screen comes up! I have waited for more than 20 minutes but nothing happens!

Currently I am using Ubuntu 12.10 . I have also Windows 7 installed in my HDD.
    My laptop Is Dell, 1.8 GHz, Core i3 with 4GB ram.

Quote Originally Posted by sfinix View Post
    I have downloaded Slitaz 4.0 Core.
    I have made a bootable USB with unetbootin. Now when I restart and try to boot from USB stick it actually BOOT! It asks for language and keyboard layout. But after that Black Screen comes up! I have waited for more than 20 minutes but nothing happens!

Currently I am using Ubuntu 12.10 . I have also Windows 7 installed in my HDD.
    My laptop Is Dell, 1.8 GHz, Core i3 with 4GB ram.
    en:handbook:livecd [SliTaz Doc]

Read the boot options you can use for vga in the link I provided for Slitaz boot cheat codes and

Quick Start

To start using SliTaz from a CD-ROM, just burn the ISO image onto a blank disc and reboot your computer, leaving the disc in your CD-ROM drive. SliTaz will load automatically, detecting your hardware configuration to start.
    If SliTaz LiveCD Does Not Start

In most cases, your computer is already configured to boot from the CD-ROM. If the SliTaz splash screen does not appear, you can change the boot order via the BIOS set-up interface. This is different with each computer but can often be done by pressing a key such as the F11, F12 or Esc button directly after turning on, before your operating system starts. With some BIOS's you can use the 'Boot Selection Popup' by pressing a F key (eg. F. You can then change the boot sequence and settings so that the CD-ROM comes first. Finally, save your changes before leaving the BIOS configuration interface.

When the SliTaz Live media starts, the splash image will be presented. This is the isolinux boot-loader, which affects options to start SliTaz. You can just press ENTER to use the default settings, or enter options.

Selecting Help & Options at the boot-splash will display help and information.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Just checked that LiveUSB in my Desktop. Its working fine in my Desktop. But its not working in my Laptop!!
    I have read that manual you have provided. It says that if i press Alt + Ctrl + F1-F6 it will give me a terminal. Actually it works for my Desktop. But not for my Laptop. In my Laptop when black screen comes I tried pressing Alt + Ctrl + F1-F6 but nothing happens!!! I mean found no terminal/command prompt.

You do that key combo before the black screen comes up at the very beginning of the boot screen on the usb drive.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Its not working actually.
    Ok I am telling you in details what I have done.
    When I boot my pendrive it shows 4 option given by Unetbootin.
    1.Default
    2.Live SliTaz
    3.Web Boot
    4.System Reboot

I clicked Live SliTaz than according to your suggestion I press that combo. But nothing happens! Just shows the kernel logs and than asks for language and keyboard layout. And after that BLACK SCREEN!!!

I clicked Live SliTaz
    Don't click anything. Then try it out.

To pass options at start-up, just precede your commands with slitaz vga=791 no387

or

slitaz vga=1024768

then hit enter key. You need to read the documentation carefully at the site I showed you to understand and try all the command boot parameters available.

Or give up on Slitaz and Try Tiny Core or something else small on that i3 of yours which Slitaz or any other minimal linux distro was not designed to boot
    or run on anyways (take that sentence lightly as I really don't rightly know). I am not that hip on what Slitaz can boot on when it comes to later computers like yours. I figured a vesa driver should get you to a desktop but I could be wrong.

also at the very end of that page

To launch a graphical desktop session from the text-mode prompt (if you have passed the screen=text option, or if Slim is not configured to run at startup, for example) just type startx.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 06-29-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

Finally problem solved. Successfully boot to slitaz from my laptop.
    Yes, solution was those linux kernel parameters. My problem was I couldn't find that boot prompt which they said I will find by pressing Alt + Ctrl + F1 . But boot prompt didn't work for me. when I enter any boot parameter in that prompt like -
    Code:
    slitaz vga=791 no386
    it says kernel image couldn't find: slitaz

But suddenly I found that there is a boot edit option for unetbootin which comes up when TAB is pressed. And found some boot and kernel parameter there for SliTaz Live. A line of text like -
    Code:
    /boot/bzImage initrd=/boot/rootfs.gz rw root=/dev/null vga=normal autologin
    Than I changed It with proper boot parameter for me like -
    Code:
    /boot/bzImage initrd=/boot/rootfs.gz rw root=/dev/null vga=791 no387 lang=en kmap=en laptop screen=1024x768x24 autologin
    Finally It successfully load the graphical page. But I don't know why this process works automatically in my Desktop!!

Thanks for your quick response @rokytnji

But now another problem!! Slitaz is not Exiting normally in my laptop. After clicking Exit. It hangs!!
    Last edited by sfinix; 06-30-2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: correction