Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi friends. I am new to Linux environment. We have purchased a Dell Server (Red hat Linux 6.3)with RAID 5 configuration Hard disk ( 3 HDD). We want to logical ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Redhat linux Partition

Hi friends.
    I am new to Linux environment. We have purchased a Dell Server (Red hat Linux 6.3)with RAID 5 configuration Hard disk ( 3 HDD). We want to logical volume's for root, boot, swap and etc. Can RAID 5 Hard disk partition be created after creating logical volumes or it's mandatory to perform RAID 5 partition before creating logical volumes.

Thank You

Hi and welcome

I assume this is a hardware raid.
    In this case you would create the raid5 over three disks in bios, which will create one visible disk.
    Then install rhel 6.x (btw, 6.4 is the current version) on this disk and use the rh installer to partition it to you liking.

Note that raid5 is not for performance but for max storage with redundancy of one disk.
    Typical used for logfiles or db dumps.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Hi.
    Thanks for the response.
    Actually, the rhel 6.3 is factory installed, so when I turn on the server, it's directing me to Welcome screen where I must enter time zone, root password and other things.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Still, 6.4 is the recent version and it is adviced to keep systems up to date for security, maintenance and support reasons.
    You will need a redhat subscription to do so, as rhel is a commercial linux distribution.

The questions for time zone, root pw, etc sound like the machine is booting from dvd and the installer has been started.
    One of the earlier steps is the partitioning, you should encounter this rather soon.

Just Joined!
    so after creating partitioning for root, boot, swap, etc, can I go for RAID 5 configuration.

No, itīs the other way around.
    Like I said, presumably this dell server has a hardware raid, whch means you create the raid in bios.
    If there is no hardware raid, then you should be shown the three single disks in the partition step, which also lets you create software raids.

Just Joined!
    Thank You for your support.