Find the answer to your Linux question:
im planning on installing Arch to the hard drive of my old PC as a little project to work on. Can anyone recomend the best type of hard drive to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Arch to an external drive

im planning on installing Arch to the hard drive of my old PC as a little project to work on.

Can anyone recomend the best type of hard drive to do this? and how i would actually go about booting arch onto the drive so that it will boot Arch instead of Fedora when the external drive is connected?

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure what you mean by the best type of hard drive, brand name? Should not matter.
    You can install the Arch bootloader to the master boot record of the external drive and select to boot that drive in the BIOS on boot, or you can install the bootloader of Arch to its partition and then put an entry in the Fedora grub.cfg file for Arch and boot that way.

I'm thinking about doing this as well. I have a 120GB SATAII out of my daughter's old laptop that I've put into an enclosure to use for storage BUT I'd like to just stick an entirely different op system on it to play around with. I've already got my BIOS set up to look at the USB, CD/DVD and other external things before it looks at the internal hard drive on my laptop so that takes care of that. Also, I played around with Mint on the external hard drive a couple weeks ago and the way I installed it was fairly simple. You just make a "Live" CD/DVD or you can make a "Live" USB then boot to it and when you go to install just click "Something Else" (or whatever the "other" install would be) and point to your external hard drive(mine was "sdg") and do the install as per normal. Make sure everything is being pointed to the external hard drive including the boot loader.
    Now if the external hard drive is plugged in at boot you're computer will see it and boot to it first, if not it'll simply boot to the internal hard drive like normal.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close