Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to dual boot my new Acer V5-122p with the pre-installed Windows 8 and Linux Mint 15 Mate. The laptop doesn't have a DVD drive, so I have to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant get Linux Mint Live USB To Boot With GUI

I'm trying to dual boot my new Acer V5-122p with the pre-installed Windows 8 and Linux Mint 15 Mate. The laptop doesn't have a DVD drive, so I have to boot through USB. When I boot Mint in UEFI mode, the Mint logo appears as if it's going to work, but then it just goes to essentially a command line and gives me an error saying, "Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the x server output to diagnose the problem?" It basically ends telling me, "The x server is now disabled. Restart MDM when it is configured correctly."

Someone suggested I try:

sudo Xorg -configure
    ("Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices. Configuration failed. Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.")

sudo cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    ("cp: cannot stat '/root/xorg.conf.new' : No such file or directory")

The command, startx, also throws the error: "Fatal server error: no screens found" and "xinit: unable to connect to x server: Connection refused")

I have disabled secure boot. Ubuntu and Fedora do the same thing. If I boot in Legacy mode instead of EUFI, Mint will boot just fine.

I'm really running out of ideas, and I'm a noob, so I don't even know what to try and search for. If anyone can help with this or point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Linux Guru
    I'm not clear as to whether you are still trying to boot Mint from the installation flash drive or if you have it installed as you mention Fedora and Ubuntu also? Since you say Mint boots fine in Legacy mode, I'm not sure if this is an installed system or the flash. I don't use UEFI on my computers so can't help much.

Just Joined!
    I'm trying to boot from the installation flash drive in order to install it. And actually, now when I switch to legacy mode, it just tells me there are no bootable devices. Thanks for the reply.

Linux Guru
    What software did you use to create the bootable Mint flash dirve? Usually it is something like unetbootin, pendrivelinux, etc. Did you use either or some other software or some other method? If it started to boot previously and now gives you the error message 'no bootable devices', did you make any changes in the BIOS?

Just Joined!
    I've tried making the bootable drive with unetbootin, linux live usb creator, and by formatting and adding the files manually. It only says no bootable devices if I try switching BIOS to legacy mode. I'm in the middle of trying to create a bootable drive with persistence so I can download some drivers or other updates and see if that works.