Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm going to sell my HP nc8230 so I wanted to do a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04LTS before I sell it. Did the install and I lost all the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need some help with screen brightness.

I'm going to sell my HP nc8230 so I wanted to do a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04LTS before I sell it. Did the install and I lost all the fn brightness controls. Tried to get em' working but no deal Sooooo I just figure I'd give Peppermint 4 OS a try to see if maybe the drivers and stuff might work better with the HP then the ones in the Ubuntu install but it's still the same deal and worse yet, I'm totally lost within that OS so I don't know where to go to change anything.
    I did have the fn f9 for dimmer f10 for brighter working under Ubuntu 12.04 but after the clean install they're just not working. I wanted to get it set up and running well before I sell it, don't think anyone would want to buy a laptop with a dim screen so what gives, easy fix, hard fix or what?
    Is there some other Distro I can install that'll work better with the HP as far as screen brightness and stuff or are they all about the same?
    Oh yea, I even did the grub deal where you replace line 11 to get the backlighting working but it didn't work either. HELP!!!

Still don't have a foggy clue as to how to get this fixed. Did a complete install of Xubuntu 12.04LTS, figure it might have something in it that'd fix it but still a "no go". It's odd because the 64bit install of Ubuntu 12.04 that I did on my Dell has my fn keys for brightness working perfectly. The fn keys were working on the HP until I did the install. I'm totally puzzled by this and it looks like no one here has a clue either since no one has offered any help.

I'm going to try installing 13.04 today. Maybe that'll fix the issue. I can't believe no one has any ideas of how to fix this, I mean this IS a Linux forum. LOL

Oh, and this is the strange thing. When I did my first install of Ubuntu 12.04 the fn f9/f10 brightness keys worked(the slider in system settings didn't work but the fn keys did) and when I installed Back Box in place of 12.04 the fn keys worked and when I put 12.04 back on they still worked. The install that I did last night was the only one where my fn keys stopped working. Strange, isn't it.

Also, the graphics card that's shown isn't the one that's in the laptop so I wonder if I have the wrong driver for it. That might be all the trouble right there.

Well, I think it was a video driver issue. I installed Back Box and now the fn brightness keys work. The screen still doesn't get as bright as I'd like it but it is better. Guess I'll just run Back Box on my HP and Ubuntu 12.04 on the Dell.