Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Iam new to this forum,i would like to install a Technically superior user friendly Linux Operating System on my Dell XPS Laptop as my primary O.S by wiping out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question regarding Linux Desktop Installation on windows 7

Hi,
    Iam new to this forum,i would like to install a Technically superior user friendly Linux Operating System on my Dell XPS Laptop as my primary O.S by wiping out entire windows, & then i would install virtualbox for other virtual machines of my choice. like kali linux & windows as i practice penetration testing.so please suggest me which distro is best ?

Regards
    Skorpinok.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I don't understand very well, you want to install a distro which is like kali linux and windows for penetration testing? Or you just want a normal distribution and install kali linux and windows as virtual machines?

Just Joined!
    normal linux distribution and install kali linux and windows as virtual machines?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The Distros that are normally most recommended for newbies are Mint, Ubuntu or Mageia. Ultimately though it depends what you are looking for.

Bleeding edge vs stable but older software?
    Automatic setup vs manual?
    Eye candy vs lightweight?

and so on...
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    The Distros that are normally most recommended for newbies are Mint, Ubuntu or Mageia. Ultimately though it depends what you are looking for.

Bleeding edge vs stable but older software?
    Automatic setup vs manual?
    Eye candy vs lightweight?

and so on...
    Bleeding edge*
    Automatic Setup*
    Eye Candy*

how about linux mint debian edition?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    LMDE is a damn fine distro and if you like the idea of that one also have a look at Solydxk, particularly SolydK which has KDE. KDE will give lots of eye candy if your machine can handle it
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    If you are new to Linux, Ubuntu is a very good distro because you don't need to configure much things. And it's the most used distro so you will find help easier than with the other distros.

Linux Guru
    If you want bleeding edge software I don't see how you could do better than Fedora. If you will be installing it as the only operating system, it should be quite easy. Fedora is a test distribution for Red Hat so has very short term support and I would not expect it to be stable, it is for testing. It is also in the top five of popular Linux distributions.