Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just built a new pc yesterday already I'm ****ing up. I installed Linux Mint, not my first choice but the only distro I had lying around on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I think I broke the boot loader

Hi, I just built a new pc yesterday already I'm ****ing up.
    I installed Linux Mint, not my first choice but the only distro I had lying around on a cd, now I have a usb wifi adapter and the driver for it caused the pc to lock up.
    Subsequently I got to use my mom's macbook to download some iso's and I got both Debian and Funtoo.
    Upon loading up the Debian cd I got a message saying that some component was missing, something along the lines of abel or some such and furthermore after that message had passed and I got an install menu none of the options were selectable as they just blinked upon selection, furthermore after a few restarts to verify this I saw that there were two screens that got loaded up at random, one that had pictures and gui and one that was rather black and white, the black and white was the one I just described to you but the other one actually let me select install and select a few options until it failed but the graphical install option just made my pc freeze.
    After that failed I tried Funtoo and after installing that without problem I restarted the pc only to find a black screen with a white blinking line in the top left corner.
    After this shock I tried to re-install Linux Mint and found that when installing the bootloader the installation failed and it made no matter what hard disk I tried to install it on.
    What have I done wrong and how can I fix it?

Linux Guru
    Could be a bad download, bad burn to the CD/DVD, hardware too old or too new. Generally, it is best to do an md5checksum to verify the download. Also burn as an image and at a slow speed.

Upon loading up the Debian cd I got a message saying that some component was missing,
    Best to make a note of these things. If you don't know what the component was which is missing, there is no way for us to know.
    Which release of each of these distributins? How old? Newest release? Funtoo? Never heard of that one.

After that failed I tried Funtoo and after installing that without problem I restarted the pc only to find a black screen with a white blinking line in the top left corner.
    You probably didn't install the bootloader, or at least not properly. Do you remember what you selected as to where to install it?

Just Joined!
    Well, the debian thing might have been a fluke, but I did everything the instructions at funtoo.org told me to do so there is no way I did not install that bootloader

Linux Guru
    Is Funtoo the only operating system on the computer? Where did you install the bootloader? Usually you have options, /dev/sda, /dev/sda1, etc.
    Posting some info on your hardware might help.