Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys I wonder if you can resolve my problem. When I install Mint my screen goes fuzzy creating noise on top and washed blue/pink scree. I am running Win ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with my screen when installing Linux Mint

Hi Guys I wonder if you can resolve my problem. When I install Mint my screen goes fuzzy creating noise on top and washed blue/pink scree. I am running Win XP and the graphic card is Nvidia GforceFX
    Thanks

Linux Guru
    Is this after you boot an installed system? Or using the installation media? You mention using xp, does this mean you are installing Mint inside windows as a program with the Mint4win app? Did you create a separate partition on which to install Mint? You forgot to give information on the hardware. If you have a computer which came with xp pre-installed it could bd 10+ years old and the hardware may not be up to the job. So some info on your computer hardware and which release of Mint, the most recent being Mint 15.

Just Joined!

Screen problems

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Is this after you boot an installed system? Or using the installation media? You mention using xp, does this mean you are installing Mint inside windows as a program with the Mint4win app? Did you create a separate partition on which to install Mint? You forgot to give information on the hardware. If you have a computer which came with xp pre-installed it could bd 10+ years old and the hardware may not be up to the job. So some info on your computer hardware and which release of Mint, the most recent being Mint 15.
    Thank you Yancek for your response. I have media copy of Mate 1.6.0 and I installed it with Mint4win inside windows. I already have 2 partitions of my hard drive and the Mint was installed on a different partition to XP.
    My hardware is Pentium 4 CPU 3 Ghz. The graphics card is nvidia G-Force FX. I hope I have given you sufficient information.

Linux Guru
    I'm a little confused here. The most recent release of Linux Mint is version 15. The current Long Term Support release is Linux Mint 13. I don't know where Mate comes in, that would be the Desktop environment. Usually when you boot, it will tell you which release it is on the boot screen. Mint 15, Mint 14, etc...

Using Mint4wind installs Mint inside the windows partition as a program. It is similar to a virtual install and is not on a separate partition, AFAIK. Do you have a link to the site from which you downloaded Mint? Was it the Linux Mint site? Can you post the name of the iso file you downloaded for Mint.

Just Joined!

Screen Problems

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I'm a little confused here. The most recent release of Linux Mint is version 15. The current Long Term Support release is Linux Mint 13. I don't know where Mate comes in, that would be the Desktop environment. Usually when you boot, it will tell you which release it is on the boot screen. Mint 15, Mint 14, etc...

Using Mint4wind installs Mint inside the windows partition as a program. It is similar to a virtual install and is not on a separate partition, AFAIK. Do you have a link to the site from which you downloaded Mint? Was it the Linux Mint site? Can you post the name of the iso file you downloaded for Mint.
    Hi Yancek
    Thank you for your response.

The name of the file: linuxmint-15-mate-dvd-32bit
    linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=133]Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" - MATE (32-bit) - Linux Mint[/url]
    The version is Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" - MATE (32-bit)

I hope I have provided the information required.

Linux Guru
    Nvidia card names usually have a number after them, do you see that on your card? It is interesting that it worked during the installation but fails now that it is installed. I'm not really up on graphics, have you tried going to the Mint site, their forums to see if you could find an answer or register and post a question there?