Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Linux and i want to learn how to install Ubuntu on USB drive. I mean i want Ubuntu to work on the usb drive as i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Ubuntu on USB flash drive?

I am new to Linux and i want to learn how to install Ubuntu on USB drive. I mean i want Ubuntu to work on the usb drive as i have installed it on my hard disk, not to make installation usb for Ubuntu. I found this program but i am not sure if this is what i need - pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Can someone tell me how to install Ubuntu on USB or point me to some good tutorial?

Thanks!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1456 View Post
    I am new to Linux and i want to learn how to install Ubuntu on USB drive. I mean i want Ubuntu to work on the usb drive as i have installed it on my hard disk, not to make installation usb for Ubuntu. I found this program but i am not sure if this is what i need - pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Can someone tell me how to install Ubuntu on USB or point me to some good tutorial?

Thanks!
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

persistent - Can I install Ubuntu to my 32 GB USB pen drive? - Ask Ubuntu

Youtube link

Just Joined!
    Thanks! I have Windows 7 installed so i will try first with UNetbootin.

What will be the live expectancy for the flash drive, because there will be heavy write/read load on it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If you want to modify or make changes after installing using unetbootin, make sure you select "persistence" when given the option. I'm not sure what the limitations are on the size for persistence. You could also install it the same way you install to a regular hard drive by creating partitions, formatting and installing.

What will be the live expectancy for the flash drive
    I'm not sure about that, you could probably google and get info but I recall reading 100,000 writes as a standard.