Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a problem with installing any of the more popular distros on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite P70). I tried Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Mint and Fedora... All latest versions. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation issues on Toshiba Satellite P70

Hello,

I have a problem with installing any of the more popular distros on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite P70). I tried Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Mint and Fedora... All latest versions.

The parameters of laptop are as follows:

Intel i7 4700MQ, NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM.

Does anyone know of any issues with this laptop? If so, are there any fixes?

Thanks...

Just Joined!
    Hi, can we know what are the issues you're having with the installation?

Just Joined!
    i have a laptop that only has an nvidia card for display. i couldnt boot any linux system except gparted. i bought my laptop from zareason and asked them what the problem was. the problem is that there is a bug in the nouveau driver. so to boot up you have to edit the grub entry so that you blacklist nouveau. select the option that boots from your cd and press e then add somewhere on the line with quiet and splash (sometimes the one line looks like two) the option that disables nouveau. for ubuntu you add nouveau.blacklist=yes.

Just Joined!
    also this is only temporary. install your nvidia drivers and you dont need the boot entry anymore