Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i just got this figured out and is really easy to do. Here we go: .first get gparted and burn it to a disc. .in gparted resize the linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post How to install dual boot (windows) with linux installed first :)

Hi, i just got this figured out and is really easy to do. Here we go:
    .first get gparted and burn it to a disc.
    .in gparted resize the linux partition so that you get the desired amount of space for windows in free space
    .hit apply and then wait well it does its job.
    .next install windows to the free space on your harddrive.
    after this windows should boot (if it doesnt and linux boots you can fix the boot record so that it includes booting to windows as an option using a program caled boot-repair)
    .once in windows download the noncommercial (free) version of easybcd
    . once in easybcd, im in linux right now so i dont know the exact instructions, choose to add an entry.
    .then choose linux/bsd from the drop down menu
    .next figure out which boot loader your distro uses and set that option in easybcd appropriately
    .with one linux distro on your laptop you can probably use the auto detect choice, but with more you will have to specify where the partition is that you want to boot from.(for linux distros with a seperate partition for booting im not sure whether you select the boot partition or the main partition.)
    .then add your entry in easybcd
    .you can check if it worked by looking at the edit entry choice or something like that.
    .once you're happy close easybcd restart your computer and you'll see a menu with the linux boot option(s) and windows!!

hope this helps ppl

Linux Guru
    Or you could install windows, then install your choice of Linux and select to install the Grub bootloader to the master boot record which will then detect other operating systems (including windows) and create a menuentry for each. Seems a lot easier to me.

Good instructions in a general sense but a lot more complex than using Grub. I've noticed that a number of people have problems using EasyBCD to try to boot multiple Linux installs. If you have a newer computer under warranty, using EasyBCD might help as the OEMs usually complain if there is a non-windows bootloader, something not original to the install. On the other hand, EasyBCD doesn't fit that category either but the manufacturer may not complain about that?
    Last edited by yancek; 09-13-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Just Joined!
    ya you could but this is for people who already hve linux installed on their pc and dont want to uninstall it to setup a dual boot system. cheers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    ya you could but this is for people who already hve linux installed on their pc and dont want to uninstall it to setup a dual boot system. cheers
    True. It's one way and has the advantage I pointed out above. You could also with Linux already installed, install windows and just make sure you know the partition on which your Linux install is and not install windows over it. Then simply reinstall Grub from the installation medium.

Thanks for posting your instructions. I'm sure it will be helpful to people coming from windows. Different ways to accomplish the same goal. It would simplify things for everyone if microsoft wrote their software to give people an option to overwrite or not the mbr but, I doubt that will ever happen.