Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 32 GB SSD and 500 GB HDD on my laptop. (Intel i5, 6GB RAM, 5400 rpm HDD, Intel HD 4000) I'd like to dual boot Win 8 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Partitioning for dual boot on 32GB SSD + 500GB HDD

I have 32 GB SSD and 500 GB HDD on my laptop.
    (Intel i5, 6GB RAM, 5400 rpm HDD, Intel HD 4000)

• I'd like to dual boot Win 8 and some Linux distro, not sure which yet. I usually use them like few months one, few another, and sometimes just quickly use another OS for something quick.
    • I'd like to have one partition for both OS'es where i keep my personal files, about 50GB required.
    • Then I'd like a partition for backups of all my files (thinking that rdiff-backup would be good), which should be larger, maybe twice the size...
    • I think i need a swap for linux.
    • Then I need ofc partitions for both operating systems, and i want both of them to have enough space, so I can install whatever I want and not worry about space too much.

I have experienced that placing program files on SSD gives an huge boost in performance. Also I have experienced, that short lifetime of SSD is not as big of a problem as it is said to be (On my previous setup I had everything on SSD, incl. swap, and only 1.5GB RAM, and SSD is yet to show an sign of age). Also I have heard, that half-empty SSD is faster than a full one.

SO:
    I'd like to hear your opinion, how would it be sane to partition system like this, what file systems to use, what to put on SSD, what on HDD and maybe experiences with such hybrid drive setups.

Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    First thing's first, are you more comfortable with any kind of linux?

I would recommend Ubuntu if you are not too familiar with Linux as it tends to work better out of the box with any hardware than Fedora. Fedora wireless is still a mess after all these years. Ubuntu's windows side install disk is good to for someone starting out.
    Really the choice is the apt-get / Debian/Ubuntu style vs. the Fedora /Centros /RPM style of distribution.

My recommendation is Ubuntu because it will configure everything for you even access to your Window side stuff without a problem.

Swap is needed either way. If you want help later on go with the older trusted standard partitions because there's more people out there to help and old files cover it all.
    Make your swap the SSD for the fastest performance, althought 5-10 GB should be enough.

My partition advice is whatever you are going to keep - like personal stuff - or whatever the main purpose if you computer is that should be it's own partition. The rest is just noise.

So if you have lots of music or word documents, make a big /home partition.
    If you do lots of external programming, then make /usr/local its own partition or /opt or whatever you do.

Just Joined!
    Consider what you are most comfortable with, because you can get more performance boost running in runlevel 3 - no gui - instead of runlevel 5 simply by not taxing with display overhead. The hardcore Unix <*old*> programmers do everything command line....