Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 server with 4 x 2 TB hdd and during Centos 6.4 installation, after setting partition layout, I receive the following message: Warning: You ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Message about using GPT bootdisk on non-EFI during installation

Hello,

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 server with 4 x 2 TB hdd and during Centos 6.4 installation, after setting partition layout, I receive the following message:

Warning:
    You are using a GPT bootdisk on a non-EFI system. This may not work, depending on your BIOS's support for booting from GPT disks.

I read that this could be due to setting a partition bigger than 2 TB, and in fact I set a 5 TB partition, because I need it as a backup storage.

Except for that, everything worked fine: the installation has completed successfully, the system boots fine, and the partition seems correctly recognized with 5 TB of space by "df" command.

The only faults are these errors appearing while booting the system:

ERST: Failed to get Error Log Address Range

[drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid, remainder is 48

So my questions are:

are the above problems serious or I can ignore them?
    can I go on and use this server or I could face problems in the future?

Thank you

Roberto

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Verify that your BIOS does support booting from GPT discs. If not, look on the Dell website for a BIOS update for this system. Also, contact their tech support (internet chat with their technicians is available) if you can't determine this from either the machine or their web site support / download pages for this system. In any case, I would seriously advise to to heed this warning message.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!