Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running into a bit of a problem when trying to create a dual boot system with Windows XP and Fedora Core 3. I have an Athlon 64 processor and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems installing FC3 to dual-boot on a SATA RAID

I'm running into a bit of a problem when trying to create a dual boot system with Windows XP and Fedora Core 3. I have an Athlon 64 processor and a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard. I have two 80 GB Western Digital SATA drives set up in a Raid 0.

I've already installed Windows XP Pro on this system. Right now, I have one 40 GB NTFS partition for Windows XP, and another 100 GB NTFS partition that is just used for data.

I downloaded Fedore Core 3 x86-64 DVD image and am booting from that when I try to install Fedora. The disk checks out fine.

The problem is when the installer tries to partition my drives (I have tried both Automatic and manual partitioning options), it complains that it cannot find a partition table, and that the entire drive will have to be wiped in order to continue installing. I also noticed that it seems to be detecting two drives, sda and sdb.

I have a floppy disk with drivers for my RAID, and I tried providing these to the Fedora installer, but it could not recognize the drivers.

I'm not sure exactly how to approach this problem. Can anyone help me out?

Just Joined!
    Ditto problem with single IDE HDD. I have FC2 already installed on logical partition in addition to Winxp on my primary partition.

Just Joined!
    Anyone had any luck with this yet?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi Rycross,
    I have heard that it is not possible to install linux onto a Raided drive. However, I have some suggestions (Note, I don't have a RAID system, nor do I have any experience with it, this ia all just theoretical).
    1. Try setting up the raid in linux, allocate the partitions for XP during the installation of your distro.

The floppies you have are probably for WIndows, If you really want RAID, you will have to use software RAID configured during the linux Installation. OR you could try one of these drivers http://www.opendrivers.com/searchopendrivers.php and enter raid for the search term.

Hi devil,
    Are you trying to install FC3 over FC2. If so, try uninstalling FC2 and then installing FC3 (Remember to backup).