Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, I am a relatively new member of this forum and a newbie in Linux. I have somehow succeeded in installing a dual boot system with Xp and Redhat ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

About sndconfig

Hi everybody,

I am a relatively new member of this forum and a newbie in Linux.

I have somehow succeeded in installing a dual boot system with Xp and Redhat Linux 5.2.. Yes, it is an old version but I had very small haddisk and the CD came witha book Linux For Dummies, so I installed it.

Now, I have Creative SB Live! sound card but when I run sndconfig I am not able to detect the card. The sndconfig program does not even give the IO adress which are used with my sound card ?

is there any way to make my linux system speak ?

I'm not sure but I think your RedHat version is too old for the card you are using. At the time 5.2 was released (somewhere in 98, it was my first distro) this card wasn't available on the market or not supported or both.

Linux and Open Source software has made a lot of progress since, specially the support of al kinds of hardware. Better download a far more recent version of a distribution of your choice, it will be worth it and it will make your life a lot easier.
    Almost everything improved dramaticly since RedHat 5.2 was released.
    I\'m so tired .....