Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, could some one give me any tips on replication of an existing linux installation onto another machine. i have to install linux on more than a few machines. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation Replication

hello,

could some one give me any tips on replication of an existing linux installation onto another machine.

i have to install linux on more than a few machines. i would like to know if there is any way where i can install on one machine and replicate the installation on all the other machines. all the machines are to have the same configuration.

could some one guide me on this.

thanks -regards,
    karthik

Just Joined!
    What distro are you using?

I know redhat provides a "kickstart", which does exactly what you are looking for. I don't reallly know how it works, maybe someone else could help you there, but i know thats what we use at work.

Other distro's might provide this feature too, i just know for a fact that redhat/fedora does because thats what we use.

Hope this is at least a start for you.

Linux Enthusiast
    Maybe something like this?
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    If all else fails, you could use dd to create an image of your first install, burn it to cds/dvd, and use a rescue type floppy or cd to copy it onto the other computers. If it's hooked up to the network, you could also use the rescue floppy to fetch the image from the network.