Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm tired of dinking around with my games under *nix. So I'm going to set up a *nix hardware FW tomorrow night with Squid, AV, web filtering, IPTables and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dual booting doze 7 and *nix

I'm tired of dinking around with my games under *nix. So I'm going to set up a *nix hardware FW tomorrow night with Squid, AV, web filtering, IPTables and a bunch of other stuff. This is to protect a doze install. After the FW is set up I'll take UBCD and do some disk work and set up the disk to take 7. I'll fix the MBR so I can dual boot after install. I'll set 7 up with uber security. Yes I realize that pun therein.

But I do have a couple of questions:

1) My *nix is all ext4. I don't think doze will even be able to see those partitions. But, if it can I how to set the *nix partitions as read only in doze. I'm not worried about *nix catching coodies. So I don't care if doze can read the *nix partitions, so long as it can't write to them and I know how to set that up. But, since at some point it's almost a given that doze will get infected I want to minimize the potential for damage. To that end I would like to tell *nix (home rolled ubuntu 12.04 remix) that the doze partition does not even exist. I don't want *nix to mount the doze partition at all, not even in read only mode.

2) After I get this all setup is there an easy way under *nix to export / import the MBR? I can't cut off all doze access to the MBR or it won't boot. (Anybody know of a away to set the MBR to read only w/o creating more headaches than it's worth?) Of course anything doze can write to it can also potentially corrupt. So once I'm up and running if the MBR can't practically be set to read only then I'd like to back it up to CMA in case of future problems.

NM: Changed my search parameters and found the answer to both questions in under 5 minutes.