Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am currently experiencing a particularly frustrating issue. I have a laptop 2.5 hard drive with a bootable debian wheezy partition that has been physically corrupted by a shock ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Computer keeps booting on the wrong disk

Hello,

I am currently experiencing a particularly frustrating issue.

I have a laptop 2.5 hard drive with a bootable debian wheezy partition that has been physically corrupted by a shock on the laptop. However this hard drive also contains my home partition which seems to be alright (I could read the data on it when booting the laptop from an ubuntu live cd).

To recover the data from my home partition I removed the damaged hard drive from the laptop and mounted it in my desktop computer (also a debian wheezy).

But when I boot the computer, it tries to boot from the corrupted hard drive, which obviously fails.

The main issue is that none of the hard drives appear in my BIOS so I cannot explicitly choose which one to boot from. Mobo is a MSI P67A-C45 B3 ; the hard drive I want to boot from is a WD caviar blue and the damaged one is a seagate (don't know the exact model).

The weirdest thing is I swapped sata cables between the hard drives but the machine still tries to boot from the corrupted one.

I just want to boot the computer from the other hard drive, then mount my data partition from the damaged one. I must be missing something out here, could someone just point out ?

Thanks in advance !

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by pberger View Post
    The main issue is that none of the hard drives appear in my BIOS so I cannot explicitly choose which one to boot from.
    that sounds impossible! look again!

okay, so maybe aliens have invaded your BIOS. but try this: boot with a Live Linux CD, w/your bad drive connected. then use fdisk to mark any partitions on it as NOT bootable (usually the "b" flag or a "*" or something like that).

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH FDISK! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT DISK! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE...blah blah blah.

Disconnect your good drive first, to be safe.

then when you reboot w/both drives attached, the bad drive should not be considered as a bootable drive.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help

Actually I think the issue was that the hard drive simply died (it was already in a bad shape ...) ; when booting from a live CD I could still see plenty of errors during boot. And then, after boot, it did not even display anything for this drive in /dev/

So I gave up!
    Regards,

Trusted Penguin
    bummer...i hope you had backups of important data!

marking as Solved (more for housekeeping reasons than indicating that your issue was resolved...)