Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ive been working with Unix in the work environment .. mainly Solaris for some time mainly a second level user. The company has moved to Virtualized Linux. I do alot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking to somewhat mirror the work environment at home

Ive been working with Unix in the work environment .. mainly Solaris for some time mainly a second level user.

The company has moved to Virtualized Linux.

I do alot of scripting for them and want to basically setup a duplicate virtual server on my laptop so that I can script against my network lab at the house. ... also, I can make sure I have the perl modules I need ... Im not sure why, but there isnt a standard image deployed.

At any rate, I will running a virtual linux box on top of Win 7 using Oracle Virtual box.

My question is ... will the desktop version of Ubuntu allow me to setup all the services that is/are available at work.

Ill need the common services ... telnet/ssh, snmp, tftp, ftp, syslog .. probably forgetting a few.

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate the help !!

What VM software are they using at work, if you can run that at home you just need to copy of the your vm's file.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    My question is ... will the desktop version of Ubuntu allow me to setup all the services that is/are available at work.

Ill need the common services ... telnet/ssh, snmp, tftp, ftp, syslog .. probably forgetting a few.
    Yes, you can install any of the additional services on the desktop version of Ubuntu.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post

Yes, you can install any of the additional services on the desktop version of Ubuntu.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    What VM software are they using at work, if you can run that at home you just need to copy of the your vm's file.
    That looks like a good way to get fired at worst or in minor legal issues (get permission before copy company stuff to a personal device. Get in on company letter head (email only if an email archiver for e-discovery is being used by your work). Most people have signed an agreement that the company owns your idea, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    That looks like a good way to get fired at worst or in minor legal issues (get permission before copy company stuff to a personal device. Get in on company letter head (email only if an email archiver for e-discovery is being used by your work). Most people have signed an agreement that the company owns your idea, etc.
    Being a former telecommunitor I assumed he would get permission and have to go thru SysAdmin to get the copy of the VM. Also as to agreement the keyid any work done on their equipment belongs to them. I learned this from one large company I telecommunted for had to send me workstation et al so work I did belonged to them. Even when I worked onsite their legal department noted anything we code on their hardware or software belonged to them.