Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

grub-install on /dev/sda failed.. old asus notebook

Good Morning Gentlemen..
    First off, you might suggest to just google the error, which I did but couln't get a usable answer.. therefore I'm consulting you..

I'm trying to install Chrunchbang on my rather old Asus Notebook (Intel Centrino 1.7Ghz, 2GB RAM, 60GB IDE HDD..)
    But the grub-install fails every time, as well as the alternative lilo..
    The same applies for LiteLinuxOS..

I tried to format the HDD manually. Tried to boot the system via a boot stick, mount my HDD and manually install Grub (apt-get install grub-can'tremember) and grub-install /dev/sda.. Which said it was successful, but didn't work..

tl;dr fatal error: grub-install failed on /dev/sda

I'm out of ideas..
    thank you very much for any suggestions

Super Grub Disk might bail you out. Install grub2 with that.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

thank you for helping out!
    with the super grub disk I was able to boot the system, but I still can't install grub/ boot the system on its own..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Check the link below for installing Grub 2. The link is ubuntu forums but should work with any Grub2. The section on reinstalling from the Live CD should work best. Read through it so that you get the correct directory (should be boot). Use the Crunchbang CD to do this so that you have the same Grub2.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...iveCD_terminal

If that doesn't work for some reason, take a look at the explanation for reinstalling Grub2 at the Crunchbang site below:

ADMIN Restore GRUB2 [CrunchBang Linux Wiki]

I tried to restore GRUB2 with a live #!
    but on grub-install in the chroot i get
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: /dev/sda appears to contain a udf filesystem which isn't known to reserve space for DOS-style boot. Installing GRUB there could result in FILESYSTEM DESTRUCTION if valuable data is overwritten by grub-setup (--skip-fs-probe disables this check, use at your own risk).
    --skip-fs-probe isn't even available and --force gives me the same error..

Linux Guru
    Did you try the above with the Crunchbang installation medium.
    Have you completed the installation except for the bootloader?
    I'm not sure why it would show a 'udf' filesystem if that is the case. Use the Crunchbang medium and open a terminal and run: df -T
    that should show the filesystem type. Did you select to format the disk during the installation?

I did try the one above, but it seems without the chroot environment i do not have "grub-install"..
    and yes I completed the installation..
    the df -T command just tells that the sda1 is ext4.. for sda2 I would have to specify the fs, which I don't know.. and oddly I have an sda5 which seems to be the swap space..
    yes I formated the disk during the installation... i tried to do it guided, automatically, the whole disk.. and also manually once..

Linux Guru
    You might try searching online for 'bootinfoscript' then go to the site, read the instructions and download and run the script. Do this from the Crunchbang (or any Linux Live CD) and post the output, a results.txt file which provides detailed information on drives/partitions boot files and other relevant information.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You might try searching online for 'bootinfoscript' then go to the site, read the instructions and download and run the script. Do this from the Crunchbang (or any Linux Live CD) and post the output, a results.txt file which provides detailed information on drives/partitions boot files and other relevant information.
    there you go : )
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linux Guru
    Boot the Crunchbang medium (CD/DVD/flash) whatever you have. Open a terminal. Run the following command as root: fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the command). I'm not familiar with C runchbang so I don't know if it uses sudo or standard root. Type sudo fdisk -l, if no response type: su -, if prompted for a password just hit the Enter key. You should see output for the 60GB drive with its partitions as well as the 2GB and 256MB. Check to see that the 60GB is sda. It should be but might not be. If it is different, use the chroot commands and change to sdb or sdc if the 60GB shows as either. If it is sda, run the following command consecutively hitting the enter key after each:

sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1
    sudo mount -t ext4 -o rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    sudo mount -t proc none /mnt/sda1/proc
    sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/sda1/dev
    sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sda1/sys
    sudo mount -t devpts devpts /mnt/sda1/dev/pts
    sudo chroot /mnt/sda1
    sudo grub-install --force --root-directory=/mnt/sda1 /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub
    If Crunchbang doesn't use sudo, just log in as root and run the commands. Case-sensitivity is needed in the commands. If that doesn't work, I've no other ideas.