Find the answer to your Linux question:
I thought that might grab some attention! Actually, I've got three Linux distros on my box, and between that and the problems caused by Qtparted, (After initially partitioning with Partition ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I'm going back to Windows...

I thought that might grab some attention!

Actually, I've got three Linux distros on my box, and between that and the problems caused by Qtparted, (After initially partitioning with Partition Magic), my hard drive and grub are a mess.

Anyway, I bought a Western Digital 120 GB external USB drive, formatted it with ReiserFS and have transferred all my /home files from the three OSs, (Gentoo, SuSE 9.1 and Mandrake 9.2) over to it.

Since we've seen so many problems with partitioning, especially when folks run XP along with FC, and also since I have licensed copies of 98SE and XP, and Partition Magic 8, I thought it might be a good choice to nuke and pave my drive, start over by installing Windows for the sole purpose of having access to Partition Magic which I would only use for the purpose of creating partitions as needed.

I have to give credit where credit is due. Whether or not it actually is, Partition Magic is the best partitioning utility I'VE ever used, regardless of O.S..

So that's the plan.

My only problem at this point is I can't decide whether to use 98SE at the first part of my drive or XP. I'm leaning toward using 98SE since I can always boot it from floppy if I mess things up. In the long run though, XP would be more stable, but might give problems when I install FC3.

Would I be able to partition as needed without problems if I installed Mandrake 9.1 first on my hard drive? That way I could eliminate using Windows which I would surely prefer.

I will gladly listen to any and all recommendations and/or suggestions.

Thanks.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Look, i've been a Windows user since 3.1 (wow!!) and i DEFINITELY would recommend you to use XP, it's far better and stable than the 98 suite or millenium edition.

And by other way, partition magic 8 is the best choice for partiotioning hard drives, it works great.

Bye!!! and good luck!!!

PS: I've installed SuSE 9.1 + Win XP without problems.