Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I have a x86_64 machine with 500GB diskspace. First, i have successfully installed ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-amd64 OS. The disk has been partioned into 2 x 200GB ext2 sections, 2 X ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub issue - Linux dual os - system fails to boot

Hi All,

I have a x86_64 machine with 500GB diskspace.
    First, i have successfully installed ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-amd64 OS. The disk has been partioned into 2 x 200GB ext2 sections, 2 X 25GB ext2 sections, 1 X 30GB ext4 section and 10GB swap space. The / is mounted on one 25GB section and /home mounted on one 200GB section.

Now, i tried to Fedora19 Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64-19-1 on the remaining 25GB partition. During installation, the system hanged and i aborted the process.

Now, when i start the system from existing installation (ubuntu os) grub window is shown, but on selecting the ubuntu version (Ubuntu with Linux 3.8.0.29-generic and recovery mode), a kernel panic is being thrown as "kernel panic: out of memory and no killable processes". Now, i inserted my ubuntu image disk but sill i get the same issue with out grub window.

//My grub settings
    setparams 'Ubuntu with Linux 3.8.0.29-generic'

recordfail
    gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmode ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdosa)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0.29-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-29-generic

My system never boots up with either installed image nor with ubuntu/fedora boot disk for fresh install.
    I could only access to grub cmdline grub>.

On further analysis of this issue, [kdump "kernel panic: out of memory and no killable processes..." url] mentioned to set crashkernel=768M in grub.cfg file. Now i could not update this cmd in grub> /boot/grub/grub.cfg file in grub cmd line using vi or emacs. And manual edit using e cmd and ctrl+x leads to same issue.

Please let me know how to recover this from this issue.

Thanks in advance
    Murugan
    Last edited by muruga86; 01-01-2014 at 05:28 AM.

Linux Guru
    Just to clarify so that we understand your situation, you had successfully been using Ubuntu 12.04 installed on your machine and then tried to install Fedora 129, is that correct? At what point in the installation did it hang? If you are not able to select and boot the installed Ubuntu from Grub then your Ubuntu partition or master boot record were damaged during the attempt to install Fedora. You should be able to boot the Ubuntu installation media by setting it to first boot priority in the BIOS. Not sure how you tried to edit the files you mention above?

I would suggest you boot a Live CD (Ubuntu) and go to the site below and download and run the bootinfoscript and post the output, a results.txt file.

Boot Info Script | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

Just Joined!
    Hi Yancek,

[QUOTE=yancek;942036]Just to clarify so that we understand your situation, you had successfully been using Ubuntu 12.04 installed on your machine and then tried to install Fedora 129, is that correct? At what point in the installation did it hang? If you are not able to select and boot the installed Ubuntu from Grub then your Ubuntu partition or master boot record were damaged during the attempt to install Fedora.

>>Yes, your understanding is correct, ubuntu was installed successfully.
    Fedora installation was aborted mid way.

You should be able to boot the Ubuntu installation media by setting it to first boot priority in the BIOS. Not sure how you tried to edit the files you mention above?
    >>I will try this method and let your know.

I would suggest you boot a Live CD (Ubuntu) and go to the site below and download and run the bootinfoscript and post the output, a results.txt file.

Boot Info Script | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

>>The issue is none of my live boot disks(ubuntu/fedora) works as kernel panic is being thrown, do we have any way to bypass grub settings.
    Or else does this script could be executed in grub> cmd prompt.

Murugan

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    none of my live boot disks(ubuntu/fedora) works as kernel panic is being thrown,
    Live disks throwing kernel panic, for me, in my experience, is bad iso download (md5sum), bad media (cd/dvd disk or usb), or bad media reader like dvdrw or cdrom. Being a team member on 2 Linux distributions. I see these kind of posts all the time and usually the root cause is what I stated above.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    http://h30094.www3.hp.com/buynowall_...t/10743955.jpg
    http://www.scaredycatrescue.com/wp-c.../04/DUSTER.jpg

If md5sum checks good on downloaded isos. Then blowing out drive like cdrom or dvdrw with a can of air is next. Then a lens cleaner.
    If using usb. Use a different usb and live usb loader since how the booting of live medium was not mentioned.
    This is all guess work so far.

Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home