Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
It's not that i need help more like i was wondering if it if possible? I have an Acer Aspire One with no cd drive. And current standings i dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install without USB or CD- help

It's not that i need help more like i was wondering if it if possible?

I have an Acer Aspire One with no cd drive. And current standings i dont have acess to a usb drive is there a way outside of dualbooting to fresh install any version of linux?

P.S. It has windows 8...and isnt useful for much more than typing up notes and surfing the web when it isnt crawling along the pages.

P.S.S. I tried looking something up but i keep getting Tuts on how to make bootable cds and flash drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Laggyextreme View Post
    It's not that i need help more like i was wondering if it if possible?

I have an Acer Aspire One with no cd drive. And current standings i dont have acess to a usb drive is there a way outside of dualbooting to fresh install any version of linux?

P.S. It has windows 8...and isnt useful for much more than typing up notes and surfing the web when it isnt crawling along the pages.

P.S.S. I tried looking something up but i keep getting Tuts on how to make bootable cds and flash drives.

LINKY

Use your acer model # and preffered distro in my search terms and you may get lucky, or not.

Another search engine

Googlubuntu - Ubuntu and Kubuntu search engine based on google

Puppy Google Search

Happy hunting, Rok.
    P.S. I would find someone to loan me a usb drive for a day or just buy me a https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/usb or search ebay for a low cost live usb linux pendrive.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. Install Unetbootin w/ desired Linux distribution on a USB thumb drive.
    2. Disable UEFI secure boot in the bios.
    3. Install Linux booting from the Unetbootin thumb drive.

This should work for x86 systems, but you will need to jump through some hoops if it is an ARM system.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    1. Install Unetbootin w/ desired Linux distribution on a USB thumb drive.
    2. Disable UEFI secure boot in the bios.
    3. Install Linux booting from the Unetbootin thumb drive.

This should work for x86 systems, but you will need to jump through some hoops if it is an ARM system.
    He said he didn't have access to a USB thumb drive and as far as I know the Acer Aspire One(at least my ZG5) doesn't have a UEFI, it has a standard BIOS.
    I think you're going to need to pick up at least a 4GB USB drive to install the .iso onto using UNetbootin then boot to it for the install. That's how I put Point Linux 2.2 on my AAO ZG5. You might be able to use a 4GB or larger SD card to put the .iso on but I've never done that with UNetbootin so I won't swear to it. A lot depends on which AAO you have. My ZG5 only had a very slow 8GB SSD, I picked up a 32GB SSD and installed it(not easy but do'able if you're handy with hacking stuff like this) and just used a USB stick to do my install.
    USB sticks are dirt cheap, you can normally get an 8GB one for around $8 to $10 bucks now days even at WalMart. If you want a new op system you're going to have to go the USB route, no way I know of of putting a Dirtro onto a SSD or Hard Drive from the same SSD or Hard Drive. Even with a Net Install you'll have to start out with a Net Install copy on USB.

Linux Guru
    You can download some Linux iso files (mostly Ubuntu derivative) and boot the iso directly from Grub2 or you can download and then extract the iso and copy it to the root of your filesystem and boot it with either Grub Legacy or Grub2. You would have to create your own entry in the menu.lst or grub.cfg file. Since all you have is windows 8, I don't know of any way to do it since a default windows install doesn't even recognize a Linux partition and usually shows it as unknown, unallocated or free space.

We did and network install with Solaris at an installfest a long time ago. We put the install CD in another Sun box, and then on the machine to install on in the boot loader we were able to mount the CD and install. I've never tried it with Linux but looking at Grub manual appear it can do at network boot, here's the manual page.....

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ma...b.html#Network

Just Joined!
    You can physically remove the drive, install it into another machine and install Linux on it, then reinstall it back into its original machine. You could install Linux, to a virtual drive (I haven't messed with any of that yet). It would effectively be a machine, inside a machine. If your computer had the capability to boot from network (rom on the card and check the bios) you could do a network install. There are ways, but a $5 usb drive is certainly the easiest.

If this is an Acer Aspire ZG5 you'd be better of buying an external DVD drive then trying to remove the hard drive. You have to basically pull the entire netbook apart to get to it then when you do it's a little circuit board style SSD that used a ZIP style flat ribbon cable for connection. Better to just spend the $10 bucks and buy an 8GB USB stick for the install then try to take it apart and put the "hard drive" into something else.

Just Joined!
    Don't forget that there is an option to do a network install, if of course your bios supports it.

I would post a link, but if dont have 15 posts, so look it up yourself, "PXEBootInstall" is one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Nikogit View Post
    Don't forget that there is an option to do a network install, if of course your bios supports it.

I would post a link, but if dont have 15 posts, so look it up yourself, "PXEBootInstall" is one of them
    I thought of suggesting that, but it requires an entire second computer. My personal recommendation is to get a cheap USB thumbdrive. It can be a bit more touchy to set up an installer image on a USB flash drive than a USB optical drive, but the extra effort is worth it if you're on a tight budget.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast