Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
No I donīt believe what I am about to say, but believe me its true. I have an OKI Laptop that came preloaded with XP, well XP is gloing, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install linux on laptop

No I donīt believe what I am about to say, but believe me its true.
    I have an OKI Laptop that came preloaded with XP, well XP is gloing, so thought would load Linux (have on other machine), and put Vista on that until can afford new machine.
    All seemed to be well, until it got to the "installing packages", and then everythinbg stops. This with a purchased CD of Ubuntu and Fedora, so, on assumption that they were faulty, did a download of Ubuntu and Mint ( heared a lot about it), and to my horror same thing happens, Takes four hours to down load, burn to CD/DVD, sei install, everyting works up to installing packages. (Thankfully did not advise seller that their CDs were at fault).
    As an experiment, tried on of the downlaods in the old machine, works with no problem, but really need Linux on the OKI.
    Am I doing somethin stupid/wrong? Never had this happen before, and would much appreciate any advise/help. Do not want to have to rely on Vista, which is dreadful

Linux Newbie
    Hello leilton. Thank you for writing. I hope 2014 finds you well.

Uhm... If its not the CD/DVD, then I'd check the BIOS configuration. Have you tried installing other OSs or distros?

Linux Engineer
    You might try a distro that is very minimal to start. I have experienced problems with laptops failing during the initial installation in the same way and solved it by installing a simpler package.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ivotkl View Post
    Hello leilton. Thank you for writing. I hope 2014 finds you well.

Uhm... If its not the CD/DVD, then I'd check the BIOS configuration. Have you tried installing other OSs or distros?

Thanks, yes, soon as had problem, checked that BIOS was set for DVD/CD. Also, although did not want it there, just checked that W:::::: would install, does with no problem.
    If it were not for fact I`m a teatotaler, would think I was on something.
    Think I have done most everything now, even resorted to burning and trying thinhs like Pinguy (in case, no laughter,it was something in the Ubuntu setup).
    Thamks for your reply and new year greeting, may I return same to you and yours.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for response.

Have tried ELive (donīt like it, from screen shots),but surely small enogh?

Back to drawing board, but running out of ideas.

No chance of new/second hand Laptop yet, and anyway, might get same problem.

Bit late, but happy new year to you.

Instead of installing have you tried a Live CD of Linux to see if networking and etc is working. Then test if it can see and write to the local hard drive. Like most things on computers its probably a driver issue, have you check the laptop maker's website on Linux compatibility and if they have alternate drivers?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Instead of installing have you tried a Live CD of Linux to see if networking and etc is working. Then test if it can see and write to the local hard drive. Like most things on computers its probably a driver issue, have you check the laptop maker's website on Linux compatibility and if they have alternate drivers?

Hi,

Yes, first thing I did when problem started was to get a Live version of Fedora, that seems to be OK, (looks good as well). But run into same problem when I try to install. Which I was a genius, would have solved by now.

As to going on Manufactures site, don't know if you know OKI, all they seem to show is their printers. Do have a manual for the Laptop, but nothing there.

Ah well, believe it or not freezing here in Spain, so best I stay in and play a bit more.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Does seem that its not me, do tend to do silly things on occasions. Like not knowing that when XP (or Vista) goes,would not have been able to install 7 on here (according to W......), know laptop is four year old, but should be better.

Just Joined!
    Now this might seem like a strange suggestion, but if you have the courage and skills I'd try installing Debian using the "Expert Install" option at boot. In this mode everything is done step by step and you have the coice of repeating and/or skipping steps should you want or need to. This will tell you if it really fails at the package installation or if it's a delayed disk format which borks everything.

Also, are we talking about a hard lock up (nothing works at all) or soft lock up (computer doing something but not responding)?

Another idea is bad blocks on your HDD or bad RAM. It's been ages since I looked for bad blocks using a desktop Linux distro but I think "badblocks -nsv /dev/<disk>" still does the trick. For testing RAM I use memtest86+, it's included with most LiveCDs.

Linux Newbie
    How have you set up the hard disc? Do you have partitions formatted to take the new install?

What are your hardware specs and, specifically, how much RAM does your laptop have installed in it?

PHP Code:
    lspci 
    for one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast