Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and I speak french, English is my second language. (I can perfectly understand you, but you might have some difficulties understanding me.) One ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Bios can't read usb flash drive

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and I speak french, English is my second language. (I can perfectly understand you, but you might have some difficulties understanding me.)

One month ago, I had a usb flash drive with backtrack r3 gnome on it (I don't know if it is important). I used universal usb installer to make it bootable, and it worked perfectly. 2 weeks ago, my computer got a very bad virus, so I re install windows 7. I also bought a new usb flash drive (3.0, supposed to be faster, but can't try...). But now whichever usb flash drive I use, using whichever software to make it bootable, my bios won't read it. I go to the boot tab, but in every "boot order" option, there is only my hard drive and my optic drive (is it the name for the thing that read dvd/cd?).

I changed nothing in my bios.

Should I do a Bios update? how?

Please help me, thanks!

Linux Engineer
    Does windows recognize the usb port?

You can likely update your bios from windows - do a web search for bios updates for your particular bios. I don't know if it will help. Have you looked in the section of your bios that shows irq's to see if the usb bus is there?

Just Joined!
    "Does windows recognize the usb port? "
    Yes, if I was able to install backtrack on it...

What means IRQ? And what is a usb bus?

I'll wait for confirmation before updating my bios.

thanks!

Linux Engineer
    IRQ is an interrupt request. All devices are assigned an interrupt request line for communicating with the CPU. A USB device uses a shared bus for IO and the bus is assigned the IRQ - also likely shared.

Since windows sees the USB device it isn't an issue. Flashing the bios probably won't change things.

Some BIOS require the memory stick to be plugged in before showing the option to boot from USB. Did you have it plugged in when you checked the BIOS?

If you post the brand of your BIOS it may help.

Just Joined!
    Yes I have it plugged.
    How can I find the bios brand?

And why did it work before on the same computer with the same usb flash drive? The only thing that changed is that I re-install windows...

Linux Engineer
    It should say in the BIOS. What is your computers make and model?

Just Joined!
    it is a samsung np355v4c

Linux Engineer
    I think there are a couple of possibilities. You'll have to look around in your bios a bit. First try booting with fast boot disabled and the usb dongle plaugged in. It should be in the bios somewhere.